Chapter 18. Double-edged sword

"Think of the devil" Murtasim mumbled.

And Meerab sighed.

The vehicle's engine roared. Despite the building heat, the air around them turned colder.
"Faiyaz ka call hai, uthaoge nahi?"

Mustasim growled, knowing fully well why Faiyaz was calling him. The intentional cryptic message to him sent at Mahira's cabin, was enough to rile up Faiyaz.

"Tumhe kyoun itna farak padhta hai Meerab?"

She turned towards him, her eyes blinking once or twice. "Mujhe nai padhta farak ab, I am engaged to you"

"Oh really, issue pehele to you were hell bent on going ahead with him, I kept begging you, but you still went ahead with that"

Meerab fidgeting on her seat. The seat belt constricted her movement. "Why are we having this conversation again? Faiyaz isn't even calling me, he's calling you. He broke off the engagement and left me stranded. Why would I possibly care about him?"

Murtasim scoffed. "Because there is no closure. Its unfinished business."

"What?"

"Didn't he break your heart?" He asked point bank.

"No, he did not" She sternly responded. But he continued to mumble something under his breath.

"Will you stop displacing your anger on to something else? You are obviously disgruntled about something completely different and just because you want to avoid dealing with it, you have suddenly brought this up?" Meerab completed. She was annoyed. They had had a good afternoon. Their time at the village had brought them much closer, beyond their physical intimacy, which only seemed to increase by the day.

Murtasim stayed mum. Not wanting to respond. Deep down, he knew Meerab was right. He was angry, he wasn't sure if he was angry at Faiyaz or the fact that what was originally Meerab and Faiyaz's engagement turned out to be in his favour.

The car roared through the darkness of the night. "Do you want to talk to him?" He said through his gritted teeth.

Meerab's face turned irritable, "He is calling you not me. You can take the call and speak with him" she deadpanned.

They drove past in silence. Murtasim's anger apparent and now unanswered call, left them wondering of the reason for Faiyaz to reach out. Faiyaz had not contacted anyone. He had chosen to lie low and stay away from Hyderabad, the Haveli even after his own father had called him once or twice  to the Polo club.

———————————————————

Murtasim had changed the course of the road and the directions now led to the Ahmed's residence. Meerab realised so, but she chose to ignore it and not probe Murtasim more on the matter. It was good, they were heading home, maybe a conversation in the confines of the bedroom, at home would be better.

The car slowed as the residence neared, he stopped. "We've reached, tum andar jao"

The frown on Meerab's deepened, "Iska kya Matlab Hota hai?, Tum andar nahi aogey?"

He huffed, and grunted loudly, "Nahi I have some work, tum andar jao"

Meerab was not the one to be ordered around and his tone wasn't right either. Agitated, she took hold of her hand bag and placed her dupatta over her shoulder and stepped out, she slammed the door so hard, Murtasim eyes glared, almost peircing through the window glass. But she couldn't care less. It was high time that Murtasim realised that Meerab was with him now.

Whatever maybe the earlier decision, she had regretted it while going through with the engagement with Faiyaz. She had said yes to it, halfheartedly knowing fully well that she and Murtasim was much more than they made out to be. They had been intimate, yes, but they were attracted to each other beyond measure. She had quietly thanked her stars that Faiyaz walked out on her and Murtasim got engaged to her instead. Something deep within her heart she had always wanted. Him.