Chapter 12. Humsafar

He brought the ring infront of his face as held it with the pad of his thumb and forefinger and marched towards Meerab

He brought the ring infront of his face as held it with the pad of his thumb and forefinger and marched towards Meerab. Her tear stricken face, filled with despair and insult.

He reached her and lightly tugged at her left hand, as he kept looking at her, while he slipped the heirloom-khaani ring through the ring finger.

A collective gasp could be heard as everyone looked at each other at this sudden change.

Waqas and Anila could feel assured that their daughter had not been left stranded just like that. They seemed to be the only ones that were affirmative of the new couple.

While there were murmur taking rounds around the ground. Maa Begum was fuming because her authority had been challenged by none other than her own son. Her attempts at ensuring Meerab had nothing to do with her family or washing her hands off of Faiyaz had gone in vain.

But it was the couple, themselves who had suddenly realised what had transpired. Their locked gaze, Murtasim hand still holding hers, the sensation of their skin, her hand in his, slowly becoming conscious of their surroundings.

"Murtasim..." she let out slowly. Her eyes welling up. "Ye kya...." She shook her head and turned around, running back to her room.

Anila tried to follow her but Meerab ran ahead, faster and thud of the door closing could be heard, because everything had become quiet all of a sudden.

Anila walked a bit of a distance and gave up. She looked back Murtasim who gave her an assured. "Chachi let her be, let her calm down, we will deal with this tomorrow"

Everyone slowly dispersed to their rooms. One could hear Ma Begums grumbling followed Mariam trying to shush her. Murtasim looked around waiting for everyone to leave. The last one being Anwar Khan, who was embarrassed to say none the least. But he could be empathise with his son and maybe a part of him knew the reason. With his held hung low, and soft pat o Murtasim's back, he too left for his room.

A quick round of the ground and an all okay report from Bhaktu around the daily village happenings, he was finally relieved of his responsibilities to seek, the woman who had taken his breath away.

With a new found confidence, a little skip in his step he found himself going towards the guest room where Meerab had promptly shut the world behind her.

A few knocks on the door. But there were no movement on the other end. "Meerab..." Murtasim's deep voice reverberated through the door.

On the other end. Meerab sat on the bed, her jewellery and other sets of clothes made to her measurement for the special occasion had been laid out the very evening. All gone to waste. For nothing.

She looked around, wondering heart of heart, this is what she wanted, deep down. For the engagement to not work out. She knew she didn't want to be with Faiyaz. It was right, it felt right. But it still bothered her. She had decided to not follow her heart. She had pumped herself up for this day. For what? This embarrassment?