Chapter 16. Entangled

Murtasim strode across his spacious study in the village's Haveli

Murtasim strode across his spacious study in the village's Haveli. It was huge, a house built by his ancestors, books collected across generations. Not only did it house Urdu literature, and other books on politics, administration but also books bought and collected through travels.

However, at this moment no book could come in handy with the kind of problems he was being met with. He had received a text from Samreen, which almost like a cherry on top to the issues at hand. The four men had hardly revealed anything. It is like they protecting something powerful, or worse, they had been threatened.

He brought out his phone, the text read - " Wrong choice Murtasim Khan, you still have time, turn back the wheels, change your direction"

With force he clicked the power button on the side of the phone to turn the screen black. This was getting too much. Too much for him to handle. His personal and professional life both asking for support.

Jerking his wrist, he checked the time, it was quarter to ten, and then placed his hand over his stomach that gave out grumble. Sighing, as he made his way to the dining table, which was only set for one person.

"Mai" he called the care taker, searching for Meerab. If he could have Meerab infront of his eyes at all times, he could.
"Ji Khaan"

"Meerab kidhar hai" his hands coming up in a questioning form. While he also looked around to see if he could get a glimpse of her but she wasn't there.

"Khan unhone apna khana apne kamre main hi mangawa liya"

What was Meerab upto, they had had a beautiful evening, a lovely picnic. He thought that would make her more open to conversations, sharing space with him. But here she was by her self, in her room.

He took his servings, picked up his plate and walked up to her room, all the while contemplating what would he say to her next. As he reached her door, he could hear a little bit of mumbling, as if someone else was inside, and a conversation was going on. Without much ado, he knocked on the door incessantly, the conversation continued inside, but he could hear shuffling and finally the door opened.

Meerab's doe eyes looked at him, the room was dark, with blue light in the background, the Sound continued. "Meerab what's happening" he entered as he spoke, not waiting for her to let him in.

The TV blared, Before Sunrise played, he turned around to look at her, "you're watching this?"
"Yes I found a DVD, so I thought why not?" She shrugged her shoulders and went straight ahead to sit on the bed, taking her plate in her lap, she continued eating.

"Khade kyou ho, bath jao" she gestured to the nearby sofa

Without much questioning, he took his seat, alternating between the screen and then Meerab. He felt at ease, to see Meerab so carefree and relaxed. He realised, she wore a house coat over just a an over sized shirt. A smile crept over his face. Meerab had let go. The village mansion meant. The only people in the haveli were the care taker - Mai and the both of them. The guards and Bhaktu resided in the outhouse nearby.