Chapter 17. Bhoole Bisre Baatein

Karachi was burning with its increasing temperature, the humidity wasn't helping either

Karachi was burning with its increasing temperature, the humidity wasn't helping either. Anila and Waqas had begun getting the air conditioners in order.

One of the repair guy came to Anila, "Baji teen AC repair hi gaye hai baaki ke teen aur rehte hai, hum kal parso kar denge"

Anila was not going to take it, her daughter was coming over and there's no way she was going to delay repairs. "Bhai, meri beti ane wali hai mujhe sab theek chahiye"

While Anila was excited to have her daughter back in Karachi. Her guilt was eating her up. Her husband and her were not the ideal parents. They had succumbed to societal pressures, their fear coaxing their daughter to remain in Hyderabad with her fiancé rather return with them. She remembered the tears that had welled up in Meerab's eyes, the betrayal was evident.

She was thankful to Murtasim, the head of the family. She was glad he stepped up, in the need of the hour. All said and done Meerab was the Apple of their eyes and they dotted on her and every need of hers. The societal pressure was real too.

Both of them, had held each other and wept. The fear of answering every neighbour every relative, and letting Meerab face the wrath of it all was a lot. They were okay with facing it but letting their daughter face all those questions and those judging eyes. That was out of question.

The cook had been instructed to cook only Meerab's favourites. Desi Chinese, noodles and chilli garlic prawn. The aroma around the house, reminded everyone of her. Especially her father, who had sat with his face covered in his palms. Reminiscing all the good days, wondering how he was going to face Meerab. Murtasim would share a daily update, informing them about Meerab's mood that day, what she ate, and so on.

A rumble of a car was heard, alerting everyone of an arrival. Anila and Waqas exchanged glances. They had to prepared for the worse. Their daughter had a mind of her own. The betrayal by her very own parents, was something she was never going to let go so easily.

The footsteps drew closer to the main door of the house, which had been left since, people around the house were still working, repairing and the maids were making the house look presentable.

Murtasim walked behind Meerab, carefully assessing her every move. She was wearing a soft mulmul salwar kameez, her features soft, almost wondering if she should even be here. The hair, swaying with the breeze. Murtasim really wanted to hold her close, a silent urge within him wanting to meld her to himself. But he had to stay vigilant. He almost mimicked each step that Meerab took. Walking steadily behind her, his inner thoughts capturing him into planning his next move in safeguarding Meerab and her emotions.

Anila was first to engulf Meerab into her arms, she almost squished her petite figure. Murtasim winced a little, checking her expressions, hoping if she wasn't breathless. Waqas had his palm over her head. Blessing her, his eyes spoke a million words, words weren't exchanged between the two.