Chapter 7

Mateo

My mother comes back down after a little bit, looking worried. Us boys are still in the kitchen, finishing up the cleaning.

"Everything okay, mom?" Alex's asks.

"It's Nyomi. She's having a panic attack. I tried to calm her down, but I couldn't." She said.

I look up from what I am doing. I notice Parker's expression, I can tell he feels guilty. I look at mom and dad.

"We will get it figured out. Mateo, come with us, you have experience with panic attacks." Dad says.

It was true. Alex and Parker used to have panic attacks all the time. They don't as much anymore, just once in a while. They would get bad sometimes, too.

It always pained me to see my brothers like that. I took a class that specializes in that kind of stuff. So, not only do I have experience, but I also have the education and knowledge.

My dad follows my mom out of the kitchen. I set down the food that I was putting away, and I quickly followed them.

They are a few feet in front of me as we walk up the stairs. I really hope she is okay. I want to know what triggered it. We are just having fun one minute, and then the next, she is having a panic attack. I mean, they can be triggered by anything and happen at any moment. But it still makes me wonder.

We reach her door to her bedroom, and my mom enters first. Then, followed by my dad. I enter after him. I carefully close the door behind me. I look at Nyomi. She looks terrified. She backs away on her bed once she sees my dad.

"Please! Please don't hurt me!" She yells. My stomach drops at the sight of her. My wolf growls inside of me.

"We aren't here to hurt you." My dad says.

"Please! I didn't do anything! Don't hurt me!" She continues. I don't know how much longer it will be till she fully breaks. I carefully move around my parents. My movements are slow and easy, so I do not scare her any more than she already is.

Her head snaps towards me. She watches as I slowly get closer to her.

"No. Please. I can't take it anymore. Don't hurt me." She pleads. I stop in my tracks. What the hell does she mean by that? I sit down on her bed in front of her to block her view of my parents. She flinches, like she is getting ready for something. But I just sit there, staring at her in sympathy.

"Mom, dad, please leave. Having a lot of people here won't help. I go get you once she has calmed down." I say, turning to look at them.

"Very well, son." My dad leaves. My mom hesitates but leaves, too. Omce the door is closed once again, I look back at Nyomi who is looking bavk at me. Her eyes are red, and tears are streaming down her face as she sobs. Her breathing is rapid and uneven.

"Hey. Focus on me, okay? I want you to focus on the words I am saying, okay?" I say calmly. She nods. It's important for me to stay calm so that I can help her calm down. Even if the wolf inside me is freaking out like it's the end of the world.

"I am going to tell you a story." I start. One thing I learned was to distract their mind.

"It happened when I was younger." Another thing I learned was to keep it short and simple.

"I was my home from school, I didn't have the other two with me that day." I pause. I keep a close eye on her breathing, which is still rapid.

"I had gotten a phone call from my mom." I pause again. My breathing is slow and steady.

"She said that I was needed home immediately." This isn't the first time I had told this story. Jasmine from school had a panic attack one day in school, and I had to calm her down. It was fairly easy.