Chapter 8

Nyomi

The car ride was quiet and tense. No one really talked. The only noise was coming faintly from speakers. I just watch out the window at all the buildings, then trees, then more buildings.

I could tell that the boys wanted to say something but didn't know what to say or how to say it.

"Say it." I say.

"What?" Mateo says, trying to act confused.

"I can tell you have something to say. Both of you. So just say it."

I can hear Alex sigh from behind me. "We are just curious. You don't have to tell us, but what triggered the panic attack last night?" He asks calmly.

I stare out the window. I don't know how to tell them. Or if I should. I mean, telling them wouldn't matter. I am leaving tomorrow anyway. But what if telling them makes it harder to leave?

"I don't want to talk about it... right now." I eventually say, my voice slightly shaky. I feel Mateo take my hand, giving a light squeeze.

"And that's fine, as long as you tell us eventually." Mateo says.

"I will." I lie before going quiet.

After a long drive of quiet and awkwardness, we pull into the parking lot of the giant building. I watch Diego park his car next to us. We all get out of the cars, Diego leading the way, followed by me, then the three boys behind us.

I notice a bunch of students going into the school. I quickly look down at the ground to avoid eye contact with anyone. We walk through front doors. The triplets say hi to people as we pass them in the hallway.

We get to the front office. I continue to avoid eye contact with everyone around me.

"Hello, Mr. Garcia. Stirling is in his office, waiting for you." The office lady says.

Diego thanks her and leads us back to the principal's office. I can feel my breathing get heavier with each step closer. I hear Alex and Mateo taking, but it's in Spanish, so I am unable to make sense of what they are saying. I try to focus on my breathing. It's not really helping.

When we get to the office, the door is already open. I look at the name on the side of the door. "Mr. Stirling" Diego steps into the office, I pause just right out the door. I watch Parker enter right after his dad. Alex and Mateo stop by my side.

I feel a hand on my shoulder as I take a deep breath and I enter the office. I see Diego already sitting in a chair and an empty chair next to him. I look at the principal, who lools older. Black hair, with a little bit of grey. He is also wearing a dark grey suit with a dark blue tie.

"Please, sit, Miss Anderson." He says with a kind tone and a small smile. I tense a little bit at the use of my last name. I sit down in the empty next to Diego. The three boys stand behind us.

"Now, let's get started, shall we? I need your full name, Nyomi." The principal starts.

"U-um... Nyomi Dawn Anderson." I say with slight hesitation. I watch as Mr. Stirling types on his computer.

"Nyomi, I'm not seeing you on any school records." He says after a few minutes.

"I was home schooled." I lied.

"Even then, you would still be on record for some fort of education. It does say that you went to elementary for 2 years. You also went to preschool." He says, looking from the computer then at me.

"That's when I started home schooling." I said. Which wasn't a complete lie. Except for the home school. I turned 8 just before I started 3rd grade. But then I was forced to stay in the dark room. Never to come out again.