Chapter 11

Mateo

I close the door behind me as I leave Nyomi's room. I walk down the hall and down the stairs. I make a few turns before I stop at my dad's office. I quietly knock on the door.

I hear a faint 'enter'. I slowly open the door, and I walk into the office. I see him bussing himself with work. But I can see the worry in his eyes. I get just a few steps away from his desk when he looks up at me.

"She's okay, Dad. She just had a bad dream. She's fine now." I set his his burger and phone on the desk. "She's eating her burger right now." I notice my dad relax a little.

"That's good. I'm sorry. I just never know how to handle situations like that." He says.

"I know. But I'm glad you called me. Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, son. Sit." He gestures to one of the chairs. I let out a deep sigh, and I sit down.

"How do you know if you found your mate?" I ask, sincerely.

"You just know. It comes at random. I knew that your mother was my mate when I first met her. But it took your uncle longer. He knew your aunt a long time before he actually knew. It really honestly depends. Why do you ask? Have you found her?" He explains.

"No. I haven't. I'm just curious." I tell him.

"What about Nyomi? You've been very protective over her. You and Alex. Parker is... Parker. But you more than Alex."

"Nyomi is.... different than all the other girls I've dated."

"How so? You barely know her. You've only known her for a couple of days. She's so closed off."

"That is true. I've dated 6 that are 'closed off', but Nyomi is different. She's more real. I could tell that the others were doing it for attention. But not Nyomi."

"Are you... falling for her? She might not even be your mate. What would you do if she not?" He asks with a small smile. I stare at the wall.

"I think I am. Even if she's not, or if she is. I'd still feel the same. I'd still care for her and protect her. I'd do anything for her."

My dad's smile only gets bigger. This causes me to smile a little bit, too.

"Keep protecting her, son. She needs it. She needs us. Promise me that you will protect her. You and your brothers. For her sake and her family's." He says, not braking eye contact.

"I promise dad." I stare back at him. Something about the way he says this is, it puts a feeling in my stomach. "Do you... know something we don't?"

"No. I don't. I'm just looking out for a rogue. That's one thing I believe in. You know that." He says quickly. I stare at him. He definitely knows something. But I don't push it any further.

"I want to get Nyomi her own phone. So she can contact us if she needs to." I say as I stand up to leave.

"Of course, son. Go check with your mother first, though. I think she still has her old phone. I'll call the phone provider real quick to get it activated with a new number." Dad says, grabbing his phone from the spot I put it. I nod, and I exit the office. I make my way down the hall.

My mind wanders to what my dad could possibly be hiding. Couldn't possibly know who and where she's from, could he? He would tell us. He would tell me. I mean, I get hiding it. He probably wants Nyomi to tell us personally. But the fact that he knows and I don't, I makes me a little angry.

I am too lost in thought, not realizing Parker rounding the corner. Until it is too late, and I bump into him.

"Shit, sorry, man." I say quickly.