Chapter 12: Nice girl

7:48 PM

John waited patiently for the throng to thin down so he could leave.

Lauren noticed him standing by the window when she came into the living room, and she instantly felt sorry for him because she had a gut feeling he was speaking the truth. She moved in his direction.

"Hi," she said, and he turned to face her.

"Hi," he answered.

"What you doing?"

"I'm just waiting for the crowd to reduce so I can leave," stated the man.

"Oh," she replied as she moved to a couch and took a seat. "Why not go live with your parents, even if everyone think you killed the president, I'm sure your parents won't sell you off for $100,000,"

"My parents are in London, and all the borders are closed so...,"

She said, "Yeah, I understand," and a brief pause occurred. She turned to face him after hearing a growl in the living room and asked, "Was that your stomach?"

"Yeah, I haven't eaten since this whole thing started,"

She exclaimed, "Oh my God, come on, let me get you something to eat," getting to her feet.

"No, you don't have to,"

"It's the least I could do," she replied, and he gave her a long stare.

At The Dining Table.

Lauren made spaghetti "So where are you gonna go when you leave?" Lauren asked as they ate dinner at the dinner table.

He shoved spaghetti into his mouth and answered, "Don't know, I'll just keep running until I get caught,"

"I'm so sorry," she said and sighed.

"Nah it's okay, I'll be fine,"

"But why can't you just give them the key since that's all they are looking for,"

"I don't even know who to trust, the president didn't tell me anything about who is trustworthy enough to keep the key before he died,"

"But can't you just maybe make a video telling them where the key is or something then you'll drop it somewhere and..."

"No, it's going to be worse, according to what he told me, this key alone could end lives, again if I make a video and drop it somewhere, it could fall into the wrong hands, and if I arrange a meeting with maybe the Vice President so I could give her the key, I'm going to jail after the meeting because everyone thinks I'm the one that killed the president,"

Lauren sighed and remarked, "This is hard."

"Yeah," John replied.

John waited till midnight after dinner because that was when the outer crowd dispersed.

After saying, "Thanks for everything, Lauren," he took up his revolver from the table and placed it at the back of his pants. Lauren felt awful for him as she watched him get ready to go. Once he was ready, he headed out.

"Wait," Lauren said, and he turned to face her. "Maybe you could stay for a little while," she added.

"How long is a little while?" John quietly enquired,

"Maybe until this whole shit is over," she uttered while folding her arms.

John approached her with a smile on his face and shook his head slowly. "God bless you," he muttered deeply.

Lauren said, "This is where you'll be staying for the main time, and please can I ask for one favour?" as she unlocked the guest room door and switched on the light.

"Yeah," John replied, glancing at her.

She grinned at him and said, "Go take a shower, you look awful,"

He said, "Would do ma'am," and they both laughed. "Hey, I never got your name,"

"Lauren," she uttered.

"What a lovely name that is. I guess I don't need to tell you my name; if you're looking for it, go check the news," he said and they both laughed. "Honestly thanks, Lauren," he said.

She murmured, "You're welcome," and turned to leave him. After a little while, she returned to him carrying some clothes and a towel.

She said, holding out the towel and clothes to him, "You can't wear that when you're done taking a shower so here you go, those are my best friend's clothes, he was almost as big as you so they should fit,"

"Thank you," he said and politely collected the clothes from her hand.

"Maybe I could get you some clothes tomorrow on my way back from work," she offered to him.

"I can't thank you enough,"

"It's okay, John," she said, giving him a brief grin before turning to leave him standing there, giving her a thankful glance.