Chapter 2

I feel like I'm drowning - Two Feet

All these years - Camilla Cabello

Marinette

The school was a perfect example for Paris.

Dull, cold and bland. Even in the midst of summer, the school seemed to remain in an all-time dark winter. I let my gaze wander to the other tables in the cafeteria. It was extremely loud, everyone was chatting. But the lingering tension could not be ignored. When Hawk Moth was still active, it was normal for Akuma-transformations to occur every now and then.

Sometimes, you could even tell, on which day someone would get transformed and when not.

Now, since Hawk Moth had disappeared for a few months, the confidence of the pupil was fading as well. His next attack would be unpredictable.

"Marinette, don't do your chameleon thing, stop hiding."

Interrupted in my thoughts, I looked up, as Alya was swinging her fork in front of my face.

"You are pale as the wall, sweety."

Her sour tone gave me a crooked smile. Sometimes I was really glad that Ayla had the ability to get me out of my dark thoughts at the right time.

I straightened up and looked at the overcooked lentil stew in my bowl. That's what my worries would look like, if they would take shape. And I really did not want to be in that.

"Hey, biiiiiitches!!!", a voice squeaked from behind; the sound not at all fitting what it said.

Perplexed, I watched Rose hopping to us, followed by Juleka, who was attracting way less attention. Full of joy, Rose slapped both her hands on our table.

"Oh my god, did you guys see Adrien's new pictu...oh."

She looked at me with guilt, which I answered with a tortured smile.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry!", she beeped ashamed. Her round, blue eyes looked at me in such an apologizing way, that I nearly felt bad for her. Before I could blink, she had sat down next to me and wrapped both her arms around my shoulders.

"It's alright", I had to press the words out. The hug was pretty tight for her delicate, small figure and her two topknots, which looked like little ears, were extremely tickling my neck. I could not even scratch myself, because my arms were trapped somewhere between her and me, so that I had no other option than to wait until she would let go of me.

"Rose, I remember telling you to wait for me."

Juleka had stopped in front of us, one full plate in each of her hands. She looked confused, as if she didn't know which hand in this muddle of people she had to give the food to.

I smiled apologizing and tried to pat Rose on the back with my not-so-free hands. I couldn't be mad at her. She was the kindest,warm-hearted person I knew.

Juleka sat down next to Alya diagonally in front of me and I finally was let out of Roses clutches.

I saw Alya checking her phone and knew she was trying not to wrinkle her nose. She couldn't hide it from me. Her face was telling everything.

"When you are already at it", I sighed and capitulating held out my hand. "Show me the picture."

I had banned Instagram from my phone for months now – for a very specific reason.

But now my curiosity was stronger than my almost completed healing phase.

Alya gave me a meaningful look, but I made an impatient gesture. She gave me her phone with hesitation, and I took it instantly.