Chapter 1

Opening Titles - The Cinematic Orchestra

Marinette

There are lots of things that make life worth living.

A cosy gathering with your friends at the campfire. The thankful smile of a friend. A first kiss, that causes your hormones to go wild and makes you high.

These things are universal and for every one of us of the same importance.

They make you feel alive, inspire you, let you dream.

But all these beautiful things have a dark side to them; you don't realize how attached you get to them. At one point, they control everything.

Your energy, your emotions, your self-worth.

That's okay, as long as these things stay in your life. You don't consider the possibility that this is gonna change sooner or later.

But what happens if they disappear? When someday, they fade, just as if they hadn't existed in the first place? You lose your confidence, someday your memory, and you wonder if you experienced them in the first place.

With a sigh of resignation, I bit my lower lip. Instinctively I grabbed the bulky packet tighter that I was carrying under my arm.

One inevitably falls in a deep hole and the way back up seems endless. There's no other option than to search for other things that can enrichen your life. Those that stay. That don't leave you.

It took me a long time to understand this fact, but one thing I learned for sure: never let your happiness depend on someone else.

"NEXT ONE!"

With a jolt I jumped up and went to the postal counter. My eyelids were as heavy as rocks, and I could hardly stop myself from yawning. I despised waking up earlier as I absolutely had to, but this time it was important.

A small, chubby woman took my packet from me, which was thin, even though it was big. A little bit ungainly I hoisted it on the counter.

She gave the recipient's address (for which I used my most beautiful handwriting) a sceptical look, even though it couldn't hide her obvious curiosity.

"This one goes to London, huh?"

The way she smiled told me how interested she was. I nodded sheepishly, which made me smile. I had almost made it. The only thing left was to pay postage, then the decision was no longer in my hands.

"Wow. The royal fashion academy", she whispered applaudingly and let her hand slide over the brown cardboard, that contained my application portfolio. This thing was the reason for the purple circles under my eyes, which I tried to hide for months now, as well as for all the band aids, protecting all these stitches on my fingers. Everyday, I had stayed up way to long, drawing my designs and sewing.

It was worth it.

I had found out everything about the university there was to know. All those reports that I've read, all those professors that I've researched, I even got information about all the teaching facilities, so that I could orient myself once I was on campus.

My last days in school were counted. In just a few weeks, the finals were due. I could breathe a bit more freely now that I  had handled the applications at least. The woman of the post office calculated the postage and I rummaged for a note in my porte-monnaie.

I could still feel the weight of the packet in my arms, but it was not bad. It was proof that I had done my best.

"I wish you the best of luck that you get accepted."