Chapter 3

"Kenny?" I asked, a hint of fear in my voice. Fumbling around in the dark, I tried to quickly seek out the battery operared lamp - the only one we had. I reached around in the darkness and hit stuff that seemed to make more noise than I would like them to.

"Kenny?" I call out again, this time frantic. I could feel my heart race faster. Where was he?

"Omg! I swear if you don't come out now... I'll...." my voice cracks mid way and I heard a sudden clank in the distance.

"Kenny? Is that you?" I asked. My eyesight had now adjusted to the darkness but it was still difficult to tell what or who was that. I instinctively gripped the handle of my dagger. I could feel myself tense up as I made my way to the source of the sound. I didn't even realise how hard I was gripping at the dagger that my knuckles turned white.

Clank

Something dropped in the distance but it was closer to me. I think I might have heard someone cursing. I decided against calling out least it were a clicker, or worse, if it were someone else. These days, people were more dangerous than clickers and runners. At least that is what Kenny tells me.

I could hear footsteps now. And, it was getting closer.I froze and gripped my dagger a little tighter. I didn't even know how I could grab it tighter than I already have. I could feel my pulse hastening, fear slowly consuming me.

I could see the shadow figure just in front of me. Then, a flash, a beam of white light... So blinding. What is this? I instinctively swung my dagger in front of me like a crazed person. I couldn't see who or what was in front of me. Fuck. I cursed in my mind.

"Hey hey. Stop stop. Aaron!" I heard a familiar voice shouting at me but trying his best to keep it down.

"It's me!" I blinked my eyes several times and with the ambient light from his still lit torch, I could make out it was Kenny.

"Omg Kenny! Why didn't you respond when I called out to you?" I asked him, my heart still beating faster than an infant's.

"Sorry. Got carried away with this" he took out a small pounch and revealed the stash of 5 hand guns and a few magazines.

"Sweet. But er..." I smiled, "I don't know how to use them" I continued.

"I know. That's why I went to find us some" he said.

"Huh?" I asked, still confused.

"So we can practice. Or rather- you can!" He said.

"Come on. Let's go back. Are you hungry?" He asked, holding up a raccoon tied to his backpack. I wonder how he had time to find all those things and even hunt a raccoon. All I managed to do was get us 2 cans of food. Well, it's better than nothing - I guess.

***

We headed back to the lair, a place where I spent the last maybe 3 weeks with Kenny. It was an underground cellar of a house that had one secret exit dug by someone before us. The best thing was that the cellar was very secure with only one entrance, save the secret exit.

Kenny managed to stock up some food. A lot of food actually. There was kore than a cupboard of can food, just above the entrance was a vegetable garden of sorts and he even had the genius to make a salt fridge to store some of the meat he got from hunting. I guess it's my luck to have run into such a resourceful guy. I smiled at the thought.

"What's so funny?" He said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "You're supposed to be gutting and cleaning thd damn raccoon!" He said.

"Oh. Right. Sorry Ken" I said.