Chapter 3

Rosa

Jacob seems really pissed at Wrath for keeping me away for so long. Austin, on the other hand, suspected his plans. I have a feeling today that I will be worked to the bone. At least it's been calm since I've been gone. Except for Tally, she's really changed and not just her looks. The first thing Amanda talked to me about was her concern for Tally. Apparently, she's been distant and has taken to training full force. In my opinion it's about time, but Amanda thinks it signifies something is wrong, that its too drastic of a change. I'd be more worried about Jace. He watches her intently. His creepy eyes bore into her like he can see her soul, amongst other things.

"Are you going to pop the toast down, or are you just taking up space?"

I roll my eyes at Grayson's annoyed tone. He's been so touchy lately.

"I was thinking, oh godly one. Allow me your forgiveness."

I bow dramatically, getting on his last nerve evidently. He slams the jam down on the counter. Snapping at me,

"You got a problem, chuckles?"

"Hey, knock it off!" Jacob peers over his paper, annoyed with the both of us. We say sorry at the same time, then glare at each other. I never could stand Grayson, even less so now.

My toast pops, and I grab it, burning my finger for the ass next to me.

"Where's the butter?" I absently complain and hear Grayson mutter "up your ass," I curb the urge to kick him.

"Were out. Tally usually does the shopping, but she's been... occupied lately. Maybe you could talk to her today."

Great, another awkward conversation because I don't dare deny Jacob anything. He's the worst when he's cranky. Grayson leaves with his toast, and I sit down next to Jacob. He grabs the fruit bowl, offering me some. I fill a plate full, and he smiles, impressed with my new appetite.

"How do you feel about explosives?"

It takes a second to digest the subject change, and I smile widely, hurting my cheeks that are stuffed with fruit.

"Fucking awesome!"

He chuckles, assessing my excitement. I'm surprised I'm not being punished, even though it wasn't my fault.

"Good, I'm sending you, Austin, and Amanda to Saint Paul. I have a friend at the shooting range who owes me a favor."

I wonder what species Jacob is and how he has friends everywhere who owe him favors. Just what does he do for these people? I know better than to ask. He's pro at deflection.

Amanda appears with Austin attached at her hip. I hold back a cringe. My first thought is; that will never be me. I couldn't imagine living my life being bogged down by a man. I answer to no one, except Wrath, fucker. Whatever, I'll learn what I can, then find a way to ditch his ass. Once I know how dark faery works, I'll find a loophole.

"Good morning, I'm so happy you're back!"

Amanda grips me in a tight hug. She's the only exception to my no touching rule. She's a hugger and I've learned to accept it.

"Glad to be back. So explosives, are you as excited as me?"

She smiles viciously. Uh oh, I know that look. I'm about to be extremely uncomfortable.

"Don't think you're getting away that easy. I want all the deets about your little trip."

Oh God

"Not now!" I growl the words in warning and she backs off for the moment. The look she gives me promises the subject is far from dead. Jacob saves me from further embarrassment by rushing us out the door and into Austin's truck.