Derek Sanders - Terrible things

"I wrote a song for you"

"Why?"

"Because, before you go, you need to know how much I love you"

"Okay"

"By the time I was your age, I'd give anything, to fall in love truly, was all I could think"

You looked at Derek and your beautiful son, as your eyes glazed over with tears. To think that these were your last moments was just... you couldn't explain it. Your heart broke with every word Derek sung.

"That's when I met your mother, the girl of my dreams, the most beautiful woman, that I'd ever seen"

You remembered back to the you and Derek had first met. You were at the park with your little nephew, playing on the swing sets. You left him for a moment to go and talk with your sister. Your sister started staring into the distance. You followed her gaze and saw a young man running through the park with a dog. You shrugged it off and continued to play with your nephew. You saw the same young man again, only this time you were ordering coffee. "Twice in one day, I must be lucky. I'm Derek," he said, his smile glistening. "Y/N," you replied. You started talking often and Derek eventually asked you to be his girlfriend.

"She said, 'Boy can I tell you a terrible thing? It seems that I'm sick and I've only got weeks. Please don't be sad now, I really believe that you were the greatest thing that ever happened to me.'"

You remembered back to telling Derek you had fallen ill with cancer and how he just fell to pieces right in front of you. You hated the pain you were putting him and your son through but it was too late.

"Now Son, I'm only telling you this because life can do terrible things"

You closed your eyes and released your last breath, silently telling your family you love them, as your heart rate monitor went flat.

He was right, though. Life can do terrible things.