Chapter Six

Nine moons later

Jayfeather and Half Moon were sitting down, pelt's fluffed out against the chill, watching their kits tussle on the ground.

Now grown prey-hunters and a cave-guard, they still play wrestled whenver they felt like it.

Drifting Leaf, their daughter with a gray tabby pelt and green eyes, had been secretly named after his mother.

Jayfeather missed ThunderClan every day, but his mate and kits were worth the loss. He tried not to think about what they had thought happened to him; was he sleeping, forever still, in the elders den? Or could his body there be dead? Uneasy, he looked at Half Moon. She was watching their kits fondly, whiskers twitching.

He followed her gaze to see one of their sons, Crow's Wing, smugly pinning down Drifting Leaf while Jagged Stone snickered in amusement.

When Half Moon had given Crow's Wing his name, Jayfeather had tried to hide his shock and instead agree with her. He wondered why she had chosen that bird-crow-but he tried not to dwell on it too much.

Crow's Wing was a white cat with gray tabby patches spread across his pelt in odd patterns. And Jagged Stone, his brother, was a replica of Chasing Clouds, who had been quite pleased with that fact.

Watching their kits yowl and play fight, with his mate next to him, he was confronted with the realization all over again that he'd made the right choice.