destroyed by a rainbow

Applejack noticed it first. "Rainbow Dash, what's going on?"

In the time it took for Rainbow Dash to process what she had just realized, Sunburst had flown towards the other apprentices, continuing to play the part of an eager fairy trying to open the flower.

"Sunburst... is not Sunburst," she finally said. "It's Laverna. She's been here all this time."

Applejack shook her head in slight disbelief. "What do you mean, she's Laverna?"

"It just makes sense, okay? The evidence is too great to look over now."

"What evidence--"

"I'll explain later, I just need to find the real Sunburst. If she's not here then I don't think the blush will open."

Applejack could only watch as Rainbow Dash flew out of the chamber. 

"What are you doing?" Glee asked, still doing Flance.

Applejack shook her head again. "I'm fine."

Laverna, however, had noticed the whole thing. "That's right. Run away."

Bibble and Dizzle had both noticed Rainbow Dash leaving the courtyard (somehow the Enchantress was oblivious to the fact that there were only thirteen instead of fourteen). They immediately began filling her ears with their gibberish. 

"I know, but I have to find the real Sunburst," she said, even though she wasn't exactly sure what the puffballs were telling her. Somehow their faces told her that they would be following her in the search. 

And for the first time, she didn't mind their slightly annoying presence. 

Inside, things were still going as if nothing was wrong. 

However, Sunset and Twilight had finally noticed the missing apprentice. 

"Where the heck did Rainbow Dash run off to?" Sunset asked. 

"Beats me," Twilight said. 

"What do you mean, is she not here?" Elina asked. 

"I really don't know at this point," Twilight said. The blush was only getting larger and higher, meaning the time to open it with luminescence was only getting closer. 

Rainbow Dash and the puffballs had ended up being a good distance away from the Crystal Palace at this point, and she had no clue where to even start looking. Her only clue was the Rustic Forest, since that had been where they'd last seen the true Sunburst. Obviously in the short timeframe, Laverna wouldn't have been able to hide her somewhere farther than the spot the switch occurred. 

"Come on, Rainbow Dash, think!" she told herself. 

Bibble began babbling again. 

"Okay, Bibble, please, can you be quiet?" she asked. "I'm trying to figure this out."

Miraculously, Elina's puffball listened. 

Rainbow Dash felt her memories sifting through, projecting a specific moment in her mind. All the way back from the first lesson in separating light from water, when Applejack had impressed everyone. 

I'm a Sparkle Fairy. When Sparkle Fairies touch water, we lose all our powers; like you didn't know that. Now cut it out!

"Water!" she realized. "She must've put Sunburst in the water!"

It definitely narrowed down her options on the list of places Laverna would've dumped Sunburst. 

Her answer came with a bright green light coming from the part of the stream canopied by exposed roots.