013

As much as Evelyn was scared of Hades, the underworld really did look amazing despite the gloomy atmosphere.

Evelyn and Annabeth hid behind some rocks with Percy following behind them, "Grover, hurry up!" Annabeth hissed. 

"Not in Kansas," Percy muttered besides Evelyn and she turned to him, confused, "Huh? We left Kansas four days ago."

"Yeah, no it's a..." Percy sighed, "Nevermind, I really need to get you caught up on movies."

Annabeth turned to them, "Hey, focus" she chided them. 

Grover squeezed the ball in his hands, the squeaking sound grabbing their attention, "Guys? Is that who I think it is?"

"Charon, the boatman, taking new arrivals across the River Styx," Annabeth explained as she pointed at him.

Evelyn pointed to a gate near them, "Oh, and that's the main gate...over there." She trailed off as the other three gave her a confused look, how could she have known that?

Annabeth gave her a look, she'd bring it up later, "Come on, let's go. Maybe we can get there first."

"Yeah," Grover commented as the ball squeaked louder as he played with it. 

Evelyn sighed, the ball would attract too much attention, and frankly, it was starting to annoy her, "Why don't I hang onto the ball for now?" Evelyn asked as she extended her hand and Grover nodded, handing it to her and she pocketed the ball.

They all stood up from their hiding places, and walked over to the large line of people.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───── 

The four shoved their way past the people without souls, and Evelyn muttered apologies. She felt a little bad, even if they weren't really people. 

"Excuse me. Sorry, sorry, sorry," Percy said, shoving his way through, "We're with them, up there."

Grover huffed, "This seems so wrong."

Evelyn nodded in agreement, "Yeah, have a little tact, Percy."

"Nah," Percy brushed them off, "Only suckers wait in line."

"Percy-"

"You know, you guys should really spend some time in the city with me," Percy cut him off, "I think you'll learn a lot."

They suddenly came face-to-face with Charon who spoke to them in a raspy voice, "You're not dead."

Percy shrugged, "I mean, we're all dying..." Evelyn shared a look with Annabeth, this boy was gonna get them killed, "to some extent."

Charon sighed, "And you didn't pay to cross."

"Wait!" Percy and Grover started digging into Percy's backpack, "We- we can pay! We can pay!" Grover pulls out golden drachmas as Charon looks at them strangely. 

"Here, drachmas." Grover and Percy tried counting them before Percy just took them all and gave them to Charon, "Just, you know, take them all."

Charon took out a whistle, blowing into it and the four couldn't hear any noise, "You can buy a new whistle" Percy said, confused. 

Evelyn heard growling behind the gate. Cerberus, she realized, as giant footsteps were approaching and the four began to step back quickly.

The watchdog started to speed towards them as they began running, "Go, go, go." Percy called out. 

Cerberus started to chase them, and all of them were running as fast as they can. 

The three-headed dog ran closer, leaning down and swallowing Grover. "Grover!" Percy and Evelyn yelled, yet they couldn't stop running.