014

The Fields of Asphodel were not what Evelyn thought it would be. Sure, she knew there wouldn't be actual asphodel flowers around, but she didn't think it would be like a dark forest. 

Grover broke the silence, "We can't ignore this." and Evelyn's eyes hardened, he was referring to Evelyn not having a pearl. 

"Stop," Percy huffed, he didn't want to think about it either.

"It's just math," Grover pointed out, "The four of us, plus your mom is five people, and only four pearls." Evelyn turned to him as he continued, "Someone is staying behind."

"Grover, I gave you my pearl-" Evelyn started, and he cut her off, "And it should really be me."

Evelyn shook her head, "No it shouldn't, there has to be another way."

Percy took out his pearl from his pocket, and took Evelyn's hand. "It wasn't your fault and even if it were," Percy placed the pearl in her hands, and looked at her, "Eve's not getting left behind. Period."

Evelyn furrowed her eyebrows, this was the third time that she has tried to do something but Percy ended up doing it instead. 

He carried on, "After we get the bolt and stop this war, you guys are leaving with my mom."

"What about you?" Grover asked and Percy just turned around, resuming walking through the forest. "Wait, wait, wait, Percy. What about you?"

"Quests aren't linear, right?" Percy looked at them, "I'll figure something out-" He turned his head around as a creepy face appeared, "Sorry."

Annabeth spoke up, "They can't hear you"

"They?" Grover repeated as she looked around at the figures around them, "This must be Asphodel." She started walking forward, "I read a book about this place."

"Wait, no, no, no, no, no. What are you doing?" Evelyn tried to grab Annabeth's arm, but missed it, as Annabeth crouched to the ground, lifting up the rope from the figure. There were roots, instead of legs. 

Grover's eyes widened, "Are those..." 

"Roots." Evelyn filled in for him.

Annabeth stood up, "Souls here, are bound by regret. Haunted by choices they made in life..." She looked at the face with something Evelyn couldn't figure out, "Or never made."

Suddenly, they heard Cerberus roaring, it was getting close again. Evelyn, Percy, and Grover started to ran but Evelyn noticed Annabeth wasn't with them and they stopped, turning around. 

Evelyn started to panic, she couldn't lose Annabeth, "Annabeth! Annabeth!"

"Guys!" They heard her voice call out to them from the distance, 

"Annabeth?!"

"Guys!"

"Annabeth!" They got to her and noticed her standing in the same place, she hadn't even moved an inch. 

"We've got a problem here," She said as she pointed down at her shoes. Evelyn's eyes widened with panic and immediately dropped to her knees; Annabeth's shoes were wrapped into those roots. Evelyn tried to remove the roots but they were too strong. "I already tried, it's too strong."

"How did this happen?" Percy asked as both him and Grover were next to Evelyn, also trying to free her from the roots. 

Grover stood up, "It's some kind of regret, right?" He looked right at Annabeth, "But what would you have to regret?"

Evelyn didn't let up on her efforts, "Annie, where's your dagger? Maybe I can use it to cut them open."

"It's okay," Annabeth looked at Evelyn, "Go, I'll distract the dog, and buy you guys some time."

Percy stood up hesitantly, but Evelyn was still on her knees, her hands still tugging at the roots, "Are you insane?! I'm not leaving without you." She repeated the words Annabeth had said back at Medusa's house, "Wherever you go, I go." 

A soft smile appeared on Annabeth's lips, as she took out her pearl, "It's always us two, right?"

Evelyn's eyes widened, how could she forget about the pearl? "Always." Evelyn said as she stood up and took out her pearl.

Annabeth turned to Percy, "Percy, this will work," Annabeth looked at Percy, "We'll be okay. I trust your dad. You can do this, I know you can."

The hellhound's cries grew louder, "Run now!" Annabeth yelled, and Evelyn grabbed her hand as Percy and Grover ran to get away from the creature. 

The creature was coming closer, and Annabeth squeezed Evelyn's hand, "Now!" she yelled and the two girls threw their pearls to the ground. 

A blue light covered them, and when it disappeared, they were on a beach. Evelyn sighed in relief, they had gotten out from the underworld. 

Evelyn stood up, and suddenly stumbled back as Annabeth embraced her tightly, "Thank you." She said into Evelyn's shoulder.

Evelyn wrapped her arms around Annabeth, "Of course, that's what best friends do."

They let go of each other and Evelyn took in a deep breath, she should probably tell Annabeth about her dreams and the prophecy, "Listen, I need to tell you something."

Annabeth furrowed her brows, "What is it?" and everything about the voice in her head, the strange man, and the prophecy had spilled from Evelyn's mouth. 

A few minutes of explaining everything, Annabeth went silent, processing everything she had heard.

"So?" Evelyn asked, "What do you think?" She was nervous to hear Annabeth's thoughts. 

Annabeth shook her head, as she sighed, "I don't know. This isn't something that can be simply explained." She said, annoyed that she couldn't have a real answer, "This is something you have to talk to Chiron about."

"I know," Evelyn turned her gaze to sea, "It's just...I have a feeling but I'm not sure." She said, as she walked towards to water.

Annabeth followed her as Evelyn stood in the water, the waves softly washed over her shoes, dampening them. Annabeth grabbed her hand, "Hey, maybe your mom knows. Besides whatever it is, I'll be with you."

Evelyn smiled, her friend's words brought her a bit of comfort, "I know, thank you."

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

The same blue light had appeared after some time, and Grover stood in the middle of it. Annabeth went to help him up, as another blue light appeared with Percy on the ground. 

Evelyn smiled, extending her hand, and Percy took it as he stood up. She reached to brush off some sand on his flannel, and they stood there for a few seconds looking at one another before Evelyn broke eye contact with Percy and let go of his hand. 

Percy kept his gaze on her for a few more seconds, then turned his head to see Ares approaching them. Thunder rumbled, and the waves crashed behind them. Evelyn moved behind Percy as he got Riptide out.

They have a new mission now; Confront Ares and get the helm of darkness back.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Final episode of PJO tomorrow!!