10

California April 1 1978

As Emma's mother ushered the local priest into the room, a palpable tension hung in the air. Emma sat on the bed, an odd calmness enveloping her, her fingers gently clasping the teacup as she took measured sips. Her gaze, however, betrayed a subtle unease, flickering with a hint of something otherworldly. She had missed school yesterday after her mom called to say she was feeling ill.

The priest, a solemn figure draped in religious vestments, studied Emma with a discerning eye. He approached cautiously, his movements deliberate as if navigating an unseen realm. The room seemed to hold its breath, awaiting the clash between the mundane and the supernatural. "Emma," the priest began, his voice a steady invocation against the shadows that lingered. As the priest observed Emma's appearance, a sickly pallor had replaced her usual vitality. Her once vibrant eyes now held a vacant and distant gaze, devoid of the spark that once defined her. Dark circles clung to the hollows beneath her eyes, a testament to the restless nights and the torment that had taken residence within.

Emma's countenance seemed to have weathered a storm, the lines of exhaustion etched on her face like scars of an otherworldly battle. Her skin, once warm and alive, now bore a clammy texture, the touch of an unseen force lingering in the unsettling chill that surrounded her.Emma's response was an eerie calmness. She looked at the priest, her eyes harboring an unsettling depth. "Tea, Father?" she offered, her voice carrying an uncanny serenity that echoed through the room, creating a disconcerting harmony with the unfolding spiritual struggle.The priest, sensing the gravity of the situation, took Emma's mother aside into the relative privacy of her room.

Emma's mother, her eyes filled with a mix of fear and concern, couldn't contain her distress any longer. "Father, please, tell me what's happening to my daughter. What's wrong with her?" In a hushed tone, he confessed, "I am not an expert in these matters, but I know of individuals who might be able to help. Their names are Ed and Lorraine Warren, renowned demonologists with a track record of dealing with such cases."He pressed on, underscoring the urgency of the situation. "If there's anyone who can provide assistance swiftly and effectively, it's Ed and Lorraine Warren. I recommend contacting them immediately. Time is of the essence."Emma's mother, grappling with disbelief and the looming shadows of the unknown, dismissed the priest's suggestion with a trace of defiance. "There has to be some other explanation for this. Maybe she's experiencing a psychotic break".

The priest shook his head sympathetically, "I know this is difficult to process but your daughter is experiencing something paranormal. this is a case for The Warrens who are experienced demonologists. They have dealt with cases like these before. I'll give you the contact information for their church in Connecticut... but...Does Emma have any other family, perhaps her father?Emma's mother, a bitter edge in her voice, replied, "Her father is not a good father. He's out of the picture, and I doubt he'd be of any help. The priest took in a deep breath and rested a comforting hand on her shoulder. "please take care of yourself and your daughter".Despite the priest's urging and the growing unease settling over her home, Emma's mother found herself unable to make the call to the church. Doubt lingered in her mind, overshadowing the priest's words and the unsettling events unfolding around her. The fear of the unknown warred with her desire to find a rational explanation, leading her to postpone seeking the help of Ed and Lorraine Warren.