22

April 20, 1978

The days blurred together in a whirlwind for Katy as she juggled the final stages of her dissertation and the blossoming connection with Lorraine. They found solace in shared moments, often sharing dinners that turned into intimate conversations, weaving the threads of their lives together.One evening, after a particularly passionate encounter, they lay breathless in bed. Lorraine's fingers traced gentle patterns on Katy's skin, the post-lovemaking quiet filling the room. With a soft smile, Lorraine whispered, " You're quite talented, Katy." Katy blushed profusely, remembering where her mouth was moments ago; Lorraine's soft moans and whimpers filling the roomIn the hushed aftermath, Katy gathered the courage to ask a question that was on her mind. "Lorraine, my dissertation defense is coming up. Would you... come with me?" Her voice held a mix of vulnerability and hope.Lorraine's fingers stilled, and she looked into Katy's eyes, a depth of understanding passing between them. "Of course, Katy. I'd be honored to be there for you. We'll face it together." Do you think Ed would... come?" A tinge of sadness colored Katy's expression as she recalled Ed's initial reaction at dinner a few nights ago. He had been respectful but requested space, when he had found out Katy was seeing Lorraine. Lorraine listened empathetically, her eyes reflecting a deep understanding of Katy's emotions. "I'll talk to Ed," she assured. "But, Katy, I can't promise anything, or if he would be willing to communicate with me, but Judy will definitely be there," she said softly. "She's very fond of you, Katy. She was genuinely excited supportive of us.Katy's mind replayed the moments she shared with Judy, recalling the enthusiasm and warmth in her eyes. Judy's excitement had been palpable, a stark contrast to Ed's more reserved reaction. It comforted Katy to know that Judy, embraced her presence and her relationship with Lorraine. Despite the complexities of her relationship with Lorraine and the mixed reactions it evoked within the Warren household, the support from Judy was a beacon of acceptance and understanding.