Making of Plans

Steve was dreaming of food. Of bunches of pancakes stacked up on plates, of browned sausages, jars of maple syrup, and an entire container of smooth butter. Eggs, fluffed up, and omelets, with pieces of bacon that made his mouth water.

Swallowing, Steve woke up to a delicious smell wafting off to the library from the corridor. His nose unmistakably led him to the kitchen, where he found Herobrine using his magic to assist him as he was cooking up loads of food. Steve disbelievingly stared at the plates, skillets, and mugs filled with steaming milk and rice.

Glancing at Steve, paused in the doorway, his twin gestured to him to go to the table with his one arm, a spatula grasped within it. Several empty plates slid across the table in Steve's direction.

"Help yourself. I'm preparing food for our little trip... Did you have a good rest?"

Steve shrugged lightly and nodded. Remembering his earlier dream about where he and Herobrine had been brothers, he opened his mouth to tell about it, but then hesitated, not sure how Herobrine would react to that. If he laughed at him, Steve knew he would felt hurt. And the whole notion of being related to this powerful being was ridiculous. Him, Steve, a brother to a demigod?

Steve closed his mouth and dropped his gaze to a plate, starting to load it up with food.

"Don't be shy. Take as much as you want. There is a lot more coming, since I'm making extra just in case."

Steve nodded and this time heaped eggs and sausages on his plate generously. He dug in, and then realized what Herobrine just said.

"Trip?" He asked curiously. His twin smirked.

"Have you forgotten? We need to go back and reclaim everything from your home that we can still salvage."

Steve nodded, but then thought about it with concern. "Won't it be... dangerous? Those warriors... players... might still be there."

"Don't worry. I have my servants watching over the place. They ransacked it some, but not too much. And they are not there now. Of course, we will take measures to make sure that we won't be recognized. In fact, it will be someone else who will go there from town and look for you, since you never came back. You remember Miguel?"

"Yes. He is that young potion maker who came by our town the night when I... got drunk." Steve's cheeks got red as he suddenly remembered his blunder and their subsequent argument, after which Herobrine ceased to visit him and only appeared rarely from afar. 

Steve had been very careful to let everyone in town know that he simply made up his stories about the ghost in the mansion tormenting him. The town guards still went to the mansion just in case to check and make sure that their ghost was still asleep, because they remembered the disturbing tales that their children told them last year.

Of course, Herobrine's ghost twin remained in the mansion, passive as usual. Even Miguel went there to check and returned with pleased enthusiasm, describing how the being just seemed to stand there even when he approached him and waved a hand before his nose. It really only awakened for the heroes, who came to make a challenge.

"Steve... What do you know about players?" Herobrine's more serious tone distracted Steve from his thoughts. He frowned and shrugged.

"Only that they are heroes. And what little you and Miguel told me. Although I find what he told me a little hard to believe. It's so different from the legends." Steve said hesitantly as he remembered the young potion maker tell him different stories from the time he travelled the world. For some reason, Herobrine smiled with amusement.

"Well, tell me what you know. I'd like to see where I have to start. I did promise you to explain more about myself and their world as a whole. What do you know of them so far?"