A Costly Mistake

Thanks for your comments, Palle. Really appreciate it.

Five and a Half Years Ago

Herobrine tried to remember his earliest weeks of existence but saw only fleeting, dim moments.

He was constantly moving from place to place. He spawned monsters to distract the humans whenever they drew too close to his liking. Yet, he couldn't help watching them from afar, as seeing them do everyday tasks evoked recognition within him of having seen it all before. He felt drawn to the humans, yet also felt caution, not wanting them to find him.

He failed and soon was noticed, becoming the subject of new hype.

"Did Herobrine return?" Human forums boasted postings of that time.

Scores of players began to pursue him, attacking and trying to trap him in their obsidian traps, since he couldn't avoid them. And he... he discovered that he was stronger than them. Far stronger. And he felt tempted to strike back. Throwing old caution away, he amassed an increasingly enormous army of monsters, which he led across the player lands, killing all of them in his sight, both hostile and peaceful alike. He left the locals alone, but they fled from him.

"The god of destruction! King of mobs! Lord of the night, Herobrine!"

He heard their words and began to believe them himself.

He was indestructible!...

"Herobrine? Pay attention."

He flinched, even though his overseer's voice had been calm and patient. His white gaze flicking up to his benefactor's face, he found Notch watching him. As usual, almost no expression showed on that bland face, only thoughtful attention.

Dropping his eyes to his hands, Herobrine considered the pattern gathered there. A blue ball of energy made of mathematically aligned threads slowly turned between his rough palms. Herobrine considered it.

What should he make next?

The ball of energy lengthened and solidified into the shape of a sword, then became a diamond pickaxe, its edge glistening sharp. Then, suddenly it coalesced into a bright red apple, which took on a golden hue more and more.

Herobrine frowned, trying to add even more qualities to it, before realizing that he pushed code to the max. He then dismissed the object to the countless attempts similar to it and began to gather another batch of energy in his hands.

This time, it persistently slipped, trying to become one of the forms familiar and easiest for him to handle. Only that was not the point of the exercise. The ball of energy threads became bigger and suddenly flared, searing the code around them.

Immediately, Notch reacted. Reaching out his hand to the burning sphere, he took control. With frustration, Herobrine watched the far more powerful being with effortless ease untangle the equations.

Poof!

A great number of colorful butterflies of predominantly blue and white colors exploded around them and fluttered off to the surrounding grassy fields.

"It's all right. Pick an easier pattern next time." Notch encouraged with a hint of a smile, which helped Herobrine to quickly calm down. Nodding, he prepared to try again.

"Notch? We need your assistance." An Admin's voice spoke across Notch's connection to their controls, sounding polite and amicable. Herobrine still tensed – those powerful humans had been the reason for his near destruction in the lab until Notch spared him three weeks ago.

Noticing his reaction, Notch gently put his large hand on his shoulder and squeezed it quietly, a wave of encouragement coming from him. Herobrine relaxed.