Chapter 1: The Very First Case

CURRENTLY,  James Bond 007 is chasing the culprit. The theme song of the suave British spy icon plays in the background as Rez Chamba lies peacefully asleep, despite the already scorching heat from the morning sun. He dreams of being Bond.

His fantasy abruptly ends when there's a knock on his bungalow door.

Quickly rising, still a bit dizzy, Rez rushes to the door without washing his face, combing his hair, or even putting on a shirt. He opens it, but...

No one is there?

Only noisy vehicles on the distant village road and a few foraging dogs and chickens, along with a mother goat and her kid, are in sight.

He steps outside and wanders around his house, but no human shadows lurk beneath the trees. Perhaps just the rustle of passing animals earlier, he thinks as he returns to the door and glances at the sign above:

**DETECTIVE CHAMBA: PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR FOR ANYTHING**

With his parents' fortune almost depleted and no job because he aspires to be a private detective, uncovering hidden information or finding lost items, Rez sighs. When will he have his first client or case to solve? He wonders while contemplating whether to prepare breakfast or go back to sleep. Maybe a shower first...

"**BRRRDDD! BBRRRRDD!**"

His thoughts are interrupted as his old Nokia phone vibrates. Someone is calling.

"Hello?"

"Rez, buddy!" The voice of his best friend, Fred Ablosa, rings familiar – he's Rez's only friend in the world. "I've found a case for you to solve! You'll finally make a name for yourself and get rich, buddy!"

"W-what? Seriously? Get rich immediately? W-who's our client?"

"I'll tell you later. Get dressed quickly, I'll pick you up. We'll use my new motorcycle."

"Alright," Rez quickly responds, heading to the bathroom to shower. A dog-like grin forms on his lips, accompanied by cheeks dampened by drool.

After ten minutes, Fred is honking outside.

"Beep! Beep!"

Rez quickly emerges, carrying his small backpack. He puts it on his back and hops onto his friend's motorcycle.

"Hold on tight, buddy!" Fred raises his voice to be heard over the loud noise of the motor.

"I thought this is a new bike? Why does it sound like it's about to fall apart with that noise?"

"Don't complain." Fred spits. "By the way, our client's from the neighboring barangay."

Fred speeds off, and despite it being 9:00 AM, Rez feels the chill of the January air.

"His name is Doctor Caridad," Fred continues, spitting again, droplets landing on Rez's face. "He's a Wattpad writer. I sent him an email because I wondered why he didn't continue his novel. We chatted, and when I mentioned you, he got interested. He wants you to locate the missing tool in his garden."

"What is it?"

"A shovel. That's what you're going to look for, buddy!" Fred laughs again, his saliva flying between his teeth.