Chapter 15: Underground Raid

VERY early that morning, while it was still dark, Doctor Ben Caridad and his two daughters began their trek down the mountain. Leading the way were Enrico, Dacúmog, Rez, and Fred, all equipped with complete diving gear and weapons. The path was muddy and slippery, as the heavy rain had stopped and the sky was now clear. Occasionally, they paused to wash their shoes in the running waters from temporary springs created by the rain. Finally, they reached the banks of the river. The water was clearing up, but the current was still strong.

"It's time for us to separate, Doctor," Rez said, his voice steady. "Be careful on your way. Our success depends on you convincing the police that there is a shadowy gang inside the tunnels holding children captive."

Doc Caridad and his daughters nodded, their faces a mix of nervousness and determination. "Don't worry, Rez. We'll do our best to convince the authorities. You must be careful down there. I think that cult is possessed by the spirit of a monster."

Enrico, Dacúmog, Rez, and Fred donned their diving gear and entered the water. They moved swiftly, the strong current pushing against them as they swam towards the entrance of the underwater cave. Once inside, they surfaced quietly, scanning the cavern for any cultists. Seeing no immediate threat, they approached the iron door they had closed the night before to delay their pursuers. Rez tried to open it, but it wouldn't budge.

"Dacúmog, is there another way in?" Fred asked, his voice echoing softly in the cavern.

Dacúmog shook his head. "No, this is the only entrance."

Just when they were about to give up, they heard noises and sensed movement beyond the iron door, as if big rocks were being rolled away. The door creaked open, revealing a small and young black girl, about fifteen years of age, holding something in her hand...... the restless shovel!

Enrico's eyes widened in shock and recognition. "Amelia?" he whispered, stepping forward.

Amelia's eyes lit up with recognition, too. "Dad? Is it really you?"

Enrico saw the red spot on her forearm and his heart ached with a mix of relief and concern. "Yes, it's me. How did you end up here?"

"I escaped from the Shadow gang and decided to take this heirloom of our tribe with me," she glanced at the shovel in her hand. "I stole this from the backyard of the Caridad's and hid it in the tunnels," Amelia explained hurriedly. "There are other children here, being forcefully injected with a drug by the Shadow. It makes them stronger, faster, and able to see in pitch darkness, but they lose their minds, thinking like animals. For some reason, they've been treating me differently. They only injected me with a different drug that makes me stronger and able to see in the dark."

"We need to help them," Rez said firmly. "Can you lead us to them?"

Amelia nodded and led the way through the tunnels. They moved swiftly but cautiously, aware of the dangers lurking in the shadows. Finally, they entered a chamber where the children lay, exhausted and sleepy.

"The drug's effects seemed to wear off during the day," Amelia hushed.