Chapter 8: The Damundo Tribe

LONG TIME AGO, the entire village of Payapa was the land of a tribe, called Damundo. According to their legend and oral tradition, they were the descendants of  an ancestor that came from an ancient advanced civilization, and later, their descendants began to worship them as sons of their pagan god, named as Damúndog, from which, later, was the basis of all the future names of their children.

As modern times and new people came to take and dwell on the land by deceit or by force, the Damundo people gradually left their homeland and scattered all over the country.

"Perhaps," Dacúmog concluded, "your house, doctor, was originally a tribal palace, but was renovated as times passed by the remaining descendants of our tribe, until the last one of them was forcefully evicted from their home, and they took with them the knowledge of this secret underground tunnel."

Rez nodded in agreement. "That is a strong possibility," he said. "This tunnel might be a secret way to enter or exit the palace whenever it is necessary."

Fred joined. "I read from history books that ancient warring tribes usually do that when they are under siege and want their family to escape. Trusted men are stationed strategically and among them are the guardians of the hidden lift and the exit out of this tunnel system. They are the ones who will open the secret elevator for the royal members of the palace."

The twin sisters leaned themselves over. "Or, it is a secret storage for treasures of the Damundo tribe," they suggested. "The Shadow might be the guardian ghost of your tribal treasures, and it took the shovel for it is the key in preserving your heritage."

The twin were so excited as they spoke their mind.

Doc Caridad scratched his head. "There you go again. I already told you that this mission against a so-called ghost is a wild goose chase.'

Rez stood up. "I think we should try to explore more of this tunnel. There might be other branches or secret chambers. The Shadow, or whatever it might be, must have been living here for so long now."

They all agreed and prepared themselves for a new exciting adventure.

As they were trekking down the dark and narrow tunnel, they noticed that both sides of the rocky walls were carved out to make small rooms, and in these small rooms were remnants of ancient skeletons.

"This might be also the secret graveyard of the Damundo tribe," Rez surmised. "Or the royal tomb of their leaders."

Then he turned to Dacúmog who was walking now behind him, "Do you know any other member of your tribe that is still living?"

The native boy sighed and slowed down. The others did slow down too.

"I don't know of anyone now," he said sadly. "Since my parents slowly died from tuberculosis, when I was around five years of age, my Uncle Datúrog was the only person I know as one of the members of our clan, but..."

He momentarily paused. "Uncle Datúrog suddenly disappeared after that. Some people saw him fall down into the mouth of the volcano which was about to explode. That was the last time he had been seen."

"Did he take his own life? What a pity," Doc Caridad said mournfully.

"No," Dacúmog protested. "It is the tradition of our tribe to pray for forgiveness, help and guidance from our god, Damúndog, whenever the volcano is growling and smoking. It is always believed that it is the sign of his anger or presence.

"According to the investigators, he might have accidentally stepped on a loose rock and stumbled down to his death."