Chapter 14: Rise Up For Amelia

"A mission, huh?" Enrico snorted, taking another swig. "What kind of mission brings you to my doorstep in the middle of a storm?"

Rez stepped forward, his eyes steady. "We're looking for someone. We believe she’s being held by the Shadow's cult in the tunnels beneath the village."

Fred was momentarily sat aback by what his friend suddenly said. They are not looking for a girl, but a so-called ghost and treasures. Yet, he immediately understood Rez is trying to recruit Enrico to their team, and so he is using the one thing that might easily convince the legendary hunter.

Enrico's expression darkened at the mention of the Shadow. He stared into the fire, the flames reflecting in his eyes. "The Shadow," he murmured. "I know him well."

"Enrico, please," Dacumog said gently. "Tell them your story."

Enrico hesitated, then took a deep breath. "Ten years ago, I was the best hunter, the best shooter anyone had ever seen. They called me the Ricocheting Bullet because I could hit targets no one else could even see. But all of that changed the day I lost my daughter."

Doc Claridad's daughters listened intently, their eyes wide with sympathy. "Your daughter?" one of them asked softly.

"She wasn't mine by blood," Enrico continued, his voice thick with emotion. "I found her when she was just a baby, abandoned in the woods. Her mother, a member of the Damundo tribe, died in my arms. I took the child in, named her Amelia, and raised her as my own. She was my world."

Fred leaned forward, intrigued. "What happened to her?"

"The Shadow took her," Enrico said bitterly. "I was away on a hunt, and when I returned, she was gone. I searched everywhere, but it was as if she had vanished into thin air. I was a coward, a failure. I couldn't protect her. So, I gave up hunting, gave up everything, and drowned my sorrows in wine."

Rez placed a reassuring hand on Enrico's shoulder. "We’ll find her, Enrico. I promise. If she’s with the Shadow, we’ll bring her back."

Enrico looked up, a flicker of hope in his eyes. "You mean that?"

"Yes," Rez said firmly. "We have a plan. Doc Claridad and his daughters will go to the police tomorrow, once the storm has passed. They'll urge them to investigate the tunnels. Meanwhile, Fred, Dacumog, you, and I will infiltrate the tunnels again through the cistern. We’ll find Amelia and bring her home."

Enrico nodded, a steely determination replacing his earlier despondency. "Alright. I’m in. For Amelia."

As the group huddled closer to the fire, their spirits lifted. The storm outside still raged, but within the cave, a new sense of purpose took root. They would face whatever dangers awaited them in the tunnels, together.

The night wore on, and plans were made. They would rest for now, gathering their strength for the battle ahead. Enrico, the legendary hunter, the Ricocheting Bullet, had found a new target: redemption. And with Rex and his companions by his side, he had a chance to hit it dead-on.

When the first light of dawn broke through the storm clouds, they would be ready.