Chapter 9; The Darkwalker

THEY had already walked for about a kilometer when they noticed their flashlights were getting dimmer and dimmer. Their batteries were getting drained up.

"If the Shadow is in fact a human like us," the sisters began to break the silence, "how can it walk safely in the dark?"

Their father was already tired and he is a bit far behind. He heard his daughters, yet didn't bother to argue anymore.

Fred giggled. "You are funny, you know? Of course, he or she uses a flashlight like us."

"But the Shadow was never seen to be using a flashlight!" They argued.

"Some people who used to live very long in the dark can adapt," Rez explained. "The pupil of their eyes will be enlarged like that of a cat or owl which can make them see in the dark, as if it is bright like the night when the moon is full and bright, and the sky is very clear.'

"But it is also very hard for them to walk or see clearly during daytime, while the sun is shining bright," Fred added, forgetting that he had just contradicted the girls just a few seconds before that. "What? I know my science, you know?" He added proudly.

Dacúmog, suddenly stopped walking.
"Is that a disease?" He asked everyone. "To be not able to see normally during daytime or nighttime?"

Rez was intrigued. "Hmm.... I think it is No and Yes," he finally said. "Some call it a sickness or defect, but some call it a gift or special ability. It depends on the eye of the beholder."

Fred gazed into Dacúmog's gloomy eyes. "Do you know someone who can walk in the dark but who is almost blind in the daylight?"

Rez's interest was piqued too. If Dacumog knows someone like that, that might be the Shadow or might have a connection with the Dark-Walker.

"Yes, I knew someone." He said.

"Knew?" Fred repeated the verb. "Where is that someone now?"

"Dead. He was already dead." Dacúmog was crying now but silent. Only his flowing tears revealed it.

"Was it your parents or a brother?" Fred eagerly inquired.

When Dacúmog remained silent, Rez said, "Was it your Uncle Datúrog?"

The native boy began to bring out something from his belt bag. Green leaves, dried fresh betel nut, and a white powdery substance. And began to chew them in his mouth.

A minute later, he began spitting red sticky saliva.

"Dacumog, who was it?" Rez repeated the question, with a gesture of urgency.

The Damundo boy smiled and his white teeth are reddish now. "I chew this whenever I am sad or angry, or even happy."

The Caridads felt grossed to see him chew and spit.

"Dacúmog!" Rez shouted and grabbed the boy's shoulders and slightly shook him. "Who was it?!"

Dacúmog was shocked. "Why? What is the need for it? He is already gone! He is already dead. He can never walk in the dark anymore, or even in the daylight..." He finally cried. "My poor Uncle Datúrog... My poor Uncle... He never have experienced happiness, and yet, he remain faithful to our god, even to his death!'

Rez let go of Dacúmog and slowly stood up, while the tribal boy slumped on the ground.

Fred saw his friend pacing back and forth. Then he stopped, reached down Dacúmog and asked him again.
"What year was that, when your uncle gone missing?"