'problem child' Pt. 2

TWS: Sensory issues, 

Three weeks after the agreement to pursue an evaluation, Changbin found himself seated in the psychologist's office. The room was quiet, with neutral tones and minimal distractions. The psychologist, Dr. Kim, greeted Changbin warmly, offering a reassuring smile.

The evaluation process began with a series of standardized tests, each designed to assess different aspects of cognitive function and attention. Changbin, seated at a desk, felt a mix of anticipation and curiosity. The first test involved solving puzzles and responding to visual stimuli. As Changbin engaged with the tasks, his fidgeting tendencies surfaced—tapping his foot against the floor and unconsciously drawing patterns on the margins of the answer sheet.

Dr Kim observed Changbin's movements and interactions, taking note of his behaviour during the various exercises. The room was filled with the soft scratch of pencil against paper, punctuated by moments of thoughtful silence and the occasional audible sigh from Changbin.

The conversation portion of the evaluation followed. Dr Kim asked about Changbin's experiences, seeking insights into his daily life and challenges. They discussed school, friendships, and the persistent struggles Changbin faced in maintaining focus. The psychologist's questions were gentle, aimed at unravelling the intricate layers of Changbin's experiences.

At one point, the topic shifted to sensory experiences. Dr. Kim inquired, "Changbin, have you ever had moments where your senses felt overwhelmed? Like sounds, sights, or even textures became too much?"

Changbin's brow furrowed in thought before he nodded. "Yeah, it's happened. Sometimes it feels like everything is too loud, and I can't filter it out. Lights get too bright, and I just need a moment to... well, escape, I guess."

Dr. Kim explained, "That sounds like a sensory overload. It's when the brain has difficulty processing and filtering sensory information. Can you tell me about the last time you experienced this?"

Changbin leaned back in his chair, reflecting on the last time sensory overload had engulfed him. "It was at this concert. The music was so loud, lights flashing everywhere, people pushing in every direction. I felt like I couldn't breathe, like everything was closing in on me. I had to leave. Just had to get out of there."

Dr. Kim nodded understandingly, "Concerts can be overwhelming for many people, but your experience seems more intense. Do you often find yourself needing to leave crowded or noisy places to cope with these feelings?"

Changbin sighed, "Yeah, it happens. It's like my brain can't handle too much at once. I get all jittery, can't focus on anything. Leaving helps, finding a quiet space to calm down."

The psychologist continued to explore Changbin's experiences, delving into the impact of sensory overload on his daily life. They discussed how these moments affected his ability to concentrate in class, maintain relationships, and engage in various activities.

As the conversation unfolded, Dr. Kim's questions became more targeted, seeking to understand the nuances of Changbin's sensory experiences. "When you're overwhelmed, do you notice any specific triggers? Certain sounds, types of light, or textures that set off these reactions?"

Changbin thought for a moment before responding, "It's hard to pinpoint exact triggers. Loud and sudden noises bother me, like sirens or someone slamming a door. Bright lights, especially flickering ones, can be too much. And sometimes, if things get too chaotic, it just overwhelms me."

Dr. Kim took notes, recognizing the significance of these insights. "It seems like your sensory experiences play a significant role in your daily life. Understanding these triggers can help us develop strategies to navigate these situations more effectively."