Chapter 5

"What month is it?!" Kassy burst into the kitchen, looking panicked. Hunk and Pidge looked up from their conversation in silence.

"Sorry?" Hunk said.

"Shiro just said something to me that you should never say to anyone." She said. Shiro followed behind her.

"Kassy, wait!"

"...what did he say?" Pidge asked. This was out of character: Kassy seemed really upset.

Her eyes teared up. "He said I'm 23."

There was a moment of awkward silence. "And that's bad because...?" Pidge asked.

"I'm not 23!"

"Oh, are you 24?" Hunk asked. Shiro made a stop it motion behind Kassy at him, and he cringed.

"No! I'm 22! I can't be 23! What month is it?!"

"On Earth? It's January."

Kassy went silent. "...Oh, my God, I'm 23. I've lost an entire year of my life."

"...it's okay, Kassy." Shiro said after a moment.

Kassy started pacing up and down the kitchen. "No, no, it's not. I'm 23 now. That's when stuff gets serious. 23 is one year away from 24, right? Which is basically 25, which is when you really need to settle down, because that's basically 30, which is when you get married and have kids, and I'm not ready to be a mom, I don't even have a partner! My last girlfriend cheated on me! And then I thought I had HIV because I had so much sex to try and numb the pain, and then I was meant to go on the Kerberos mission and come back a new woman but- but that sucked, and then the year I was gonna use to come back and heal,  I got my blood stolen by evil aliens, which I have to get over that now apparently, and now I'm gonna be alone forever and-"

Shiro grabbed Kassy's shoulders, stopping her pacing. "Hey. Stop it. Deep breath."

Kassy took in a deep breath with Shiro, and then exhaled.

"Better?"

"Yeah, thanks. Sorry about that. Just... feels bad realising I've lost a whole year."

"To be fair... that would be kinda crazy." Hunk responded.

Kassy sighed, sitting at the table, rubbing her temple. Shiro placed a hand on her shoulder and rubbed it gently. "You okay?" He murmured. She nodded.

"Yeah. Just need a minute."

Lance walked into the kitchen. "Kassy, where's my shirt?! You've cleaned up my room, and now I can't find anything!"

"Not the time, Lance." Hunk said.

"So, what, I'm supposed to go around without a shirt? ...not that the ladies would mind."

Kassy looked up. "Did you look in your closet?"

"Yes."

"Well, look again. That's where I put it."

"It wasn't in there." Lance replied.

"Then put on a different shirt." Kassy responded.

He sighed in exasperation. "But I want that shirt!"

"Oh! I'll go get it myself." Kassy got up, leaving the kitchen in silence.

"...why don't you clean your own room?" Hunk asked.

"I didn't even know it was her doing it until I saw her! I thought it was like... the mice. Or something."

"...that really doesn't answer my question."