Chapter 9

A few weeks passed and progress was made in the fight against Zarkon. The Paladins were working hard; and while they were tired, they were coming to the understanding that nothing could come in the way of the fight right now.

Things were fine, except the nausea Kassy had felt was unrelenting. After throwing up for the third time one day, everyone had had enough.

"Just got to the med bay, Kassy, something is clearly wrong." Pidge said with a sigh. "And the sooner we figure it out the better. If it's contagious..."

"That's a good point, actually." Coran replied. "If one of the Paladins gets this weird bug, it could bring the whole team down. Come down to the med bay, I'll scan you myself."

Kassy had to nod: she couldn't argue with that logic, and besides, it was getting quite tiring. She hoped whatever it was Coran would be able to treat.

***

"What is this?" Coran asked. He had a little bag, held between his thumb and forefinger, filled with white powder. It had been a few hours since he'd gone to the med bay, and Kassy had disappeared off somewhere.

"There's my cocaine!" Rora said. "I've been looking for that since I got in the blue lion!"

"What is it?" Coran asked.

"It's a drug. You sniff it, and it's great." Rora nodded.

"Where did we get cocaine?" Shiro asked. "Is this appropriate?"

Rora grabbed it from Coran's hand. "Guys. Let's party."

"...are you being serious? That's extremely unsafe! And irresponsible!" Shiro said. "Do you not remember the anti drug assemblies from school?!"

"Oh, well, sucks to suck, I wanna sniff some coke." Pidge said.

"Pidge, you are 15 years old. As your leader and the only adult around other than Coran, I command you to not sniff that coke." Shiro said. Pidge whined.

"But Shiro! I really, really want to!"

"No, Pidge. Rora, you are a bad influence."

Rora shrugged, already making lines. "Sure thing."

"Look at her go." Keith said, finally looking up. "She's done this before."

"Fuck yeah. You think I've been in London doing nothing?"

"I thought you were doing fashion design." Shiro said. Rora gave a dismissive wave, making a small straw out of paper, and beginning to inhale it.

"This is absolutely disgusting." Coran muttered. "Up the nose! God. When I was a lad, I tried weed! And it was fantastic."

"They have weed on Altea?" Keith asked. Coran nodded.

"Yep! Me and King Alfor used to get high as a pair of kites before the women got involved."

Rora raised her head, titling it back, and sniffing delicately. "Woah."

"Okay, that's enough." Shiro said, thinking this whole thing went too far when Coran pulled out that little bag. "No more coke."

"But Shiro!"

"That's final. I'm putting my foot down."

Coran nodded. "You'll make a good father."

"Thank you, Coran. I'll remember that in the distant future when I finally have a kid of my own."

Coran opened his mouth to say something, but decided against it. "Sure... distant future."

A few hours passed, and after Shiro left, Rora of course went back to sniffing the cocaine. That was, until the effects sunk in and she was panicky, and, in other words, fucked up.

Keith rubbed her back. "Okay, you done?"

She nodded. Her heart was racing, and it was causing her tics to return, each jerk leaving a jarring feeling in her neck. "I'm done."

Keith placed an awkward arm around her. "There we go."

Shiro poked his head in and shook his head, taking in the scene. "I'd ground you but based on how you are now, you've been punished enough. No more drugs on this ship."

"Yes, Shiro." Rora mumbled.

Keith patted her back gently. "Hey, breathe with me. Let's try and calm those tics down."

Shiro watched on with the expression of a proud parent as he watched Keith comfort Rora. Then, he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned to see Kassy.

"Hey, you." He smiled.

"Hey. Come with me."

A smile crossed Shiro's lips as he followed Kassy, his eyes dropping to her ass a few times. They went into her room, and he immediately got to holding her waist and kissing her.

She didn't break away for a moment, but when she did she placed her hands on his shoulders to stop him going in again.

"We need to talk, not fuck."

"Aw, damn." Shiro sighed. "Are you feeling better, by the way?"

"Uh, yeah. That's actually what I wanted to talk to you about."

"Oh? What did Coran say it was?"

Kassy took a seat on her bed, and guided him over to sit with her. "You'll stand by me no matter what, right?"

"Yes. Always." He took her hand. "Look, whatever it is, we'll get through it. Are you seriously ill? Are you dying?"

"No, no, no. I'm not dying."

Shiro sighed in relief. "Right. Then, what's up?"

"...I'm not sick, Shiro." She murmured. She was quiet for a moment and Shiro nodded.

"Oh. Good. Is that it? Because that's a lot of build up for just 'I'm not-"

"I'm pregnant."

Shiro froze mid sentence, his mouth still open. He waited for her to laugh and say she was joking, but her serious expression did not falter. The silence extended a moment.

"...what?" he finally managed to choke out.

"I'm pregnant." She repeated.

Shiro took a breath, letting the words sink in. "And it's...?"

Kassy nodded in response, looking away. Shiro stared at her for a moment, his eyes dropping to her belly momentarily.

He looked away and shook his head. "Fuck. I was not expecting that."

Kassy nodded. "I know."

He took a deep breath. "Are you keeping it?"

"It's impossible to get an abortion here. I already asked."

Shiro nodded. "...shit. I guess... I guess we're having a baby, then."

Kassy nodded. "Only you and Coran know. I think we should notify the rest of the team soonish. The sooner everyone's aware the better."

"But... aren't you supposed to wait until the second trimester?"

Kassy smiled softly at him. "Under normal circumstances. But these are not normal circumstances. If we want the baby to make it the rest of the pregnancy, we need to start making plans for it now."

Shiro nodded. "Right. Of course. How are you feeling about it?"

"Shaken." She gave a laugh. "I'm so scared."

He pulled her into a hug. "It'll be okay. You're my best friend and we're gonna be okay. Whatever happens, we're in it together."

She smiled and leant in, placing a small kiss on his lips. "So... I guess we're having a baby."