Chapter 8

After the fight in the kitchen, some tension seemed to have been eased, and the group was back in high spirits.

"So, you're telling me that gay guys have to wear condoms too?" Lance asked.

"Yeah. Because you can still get STIs, didn't you ever learn about the AIDS epidemic?" Rora asked.

"I didn't get any sex ed past 'don't do it'. My family's catholic."

"Good thing you're not having any, then." Rora responded. Lance narrowed his eyes at her.

"That's mean."

Pidge nodded. "Imagine having to live with that."

"You haven't even been living with me for the last three years. Anyway, I'm nice to you, it's Matt who gets it."

"Poor Matt." Shiro said, and the group laughed. Pidge and Rora went quiet and there was an awkward silence.

"We're gonna find them." Keith said, looking over from his corner. "Don't worry."

"I didn't know you cared that much." Lance said.

Keith went slightly red. "If it matters to the team it matters to me."

"Aww, that's nice." Hunk said. "I can't wait for this whole thing to be over. I miss my family, too. Especially my mom."

"Yeah, me too." Lance said. "I'm gonna give my mom a huge hug."

"I miss my mom too." Pidge sighed.

Kassy smiled softly to herself at the conversation. It was bittersweet but she was glad most of the group had loving families they could return to.

"You know, my dog Bae Bae used to gnaw at Matt's leg when she was a puppy." Rora said. "I miss her so much."

At that moment, Kassy stood up, looking a little peaky, and ran out of the room.

"Jeez, Kassy, I knew you were a cat person but you don't have to do that." Rora called out to her.

Coran watched her run off. "Is she okay?" he asked.

"She's probably just tired." Keith said, before looking pointedly at Shiro. He got ignored.

A few moments later, she returned. "Sorry about that. I just felt sick for a second there."

"Oh, don't worry, Kassy, I get it." Hunk replied. "Happens to me all the time."

"We know." Pidge replied.

"We still on for cocktails tonight?" Coran asked.

"No, I think I need to rest. I haven't been sleeping well lately."

Pidge laughed and muttered to herself. "I wonder why."

"Why is everyone being so snarky today?" Lance asked. "Is everyone collectively on their period or something?"

"I haven't had my period in like, a year and a half." Kassy replied offhandedly, going over to the kettle. There was an awkward silence.

"...so, who wants to train?" Shiro asked. Everyone raised their hand and headed to the training room.

***

"Hey, why is Rora sobbing?" Keith asked Pidge.

"After that conversation this morning she remembered our dog exists."

"And...?"

"And she misses her. Duh."

"Right." Keith shook his head. "You know, as great as having a family sounds, I'm kind of glad I don't have anyone to be sad over."

"That's a stupid way to look at things. Besides, isn't Shiro always saying we're a family? He's the dad, Kassy's the mom, Rora is the eldest sibling, you're the gay bitch ass cousin-"

"I am not the gay bitch ass cousin."

"How would you know?  You've never been in a proper family dynamic before. I think you are the gay bitch ass cousin."

Keith paused, and for a moment, Pidge thought he was going to get mad. However, a tiny smile crossed his lips, and though wiped it away almost instantly, she knew it was there.

"Whatever." he muttered, wandering off.

At that point, Rora migrated into the closet to cry some more.

And that was their day.

At around 8pm, when Rora still hadn't stopped crying, Keith went and knocked on the closet door. "Okay, Rora. That's enough crying for today. Come out of the closet."

"Keith!" she sobbed. "You already know I'm a lesbian!"

He sighed. "Yes, Rora. But it's time to exit the wardrobe and join real people again."

Rora did not move, just continued sobbing from within the closet.

"Rora. I got your favourite song!" Pidge said.

Rora sniffled and came out of the closet. "Don't Try Suicide?"

"You know it."

She nodded, sniffling again. "Okay. I'll sing."

"That's my sister."

"Did you expect her to not sing? It's Rora." Keith asked. He was ignored, however.

He watched as the two started singing about not committing suicide, partly confused, mostly concerned.

"What are they...?" Allura asked. Keith shook his head.

"You think I know?"

"I think this is the most alive I've ever seen Pidge." She responded.

Coran poked his head in.

"That's great that you have a song dedicated to stopping suicide!" Coran said. "A bit... upbeat, given the topic matter, but even so."

"Sure, Coran."

They watched as they clapped along with the song and sang along.

"Humans confuse me." Allura mumbled, wandering off.

"Yeah." Keith responded as Rora and Pidge collapsed in a heap of giggles. "Me too."