Chapter 11

"Making yourself comfortable?"

Shiro turned to see Kassy nestled in the sheets of his bed. He couldn't really be angry; he smiled softly at her.

"It's the least you can do seeing as you knocked me up."

He chuckled and laid next to her, wrapping his arms around her. "You still focusing on that?"

"You would too."

Shiro smiled as Kassy got closer, her arms and legs enclosing him in a cuddle. He kissed her head softly.

"If you got me pregnant I'd have some major questions."

Kassy responded with a soft laugh. "Me too. What do you think it'll be like to have a baby? I mean, in space, no less."

"It'll be... a major learning curve. I think we should send you home as soon as we can. I mean... this is no place to have and raise a baby."

She nodded. "One day we'll get home. We'll somehow put this behind us." she murmured. "You and me, how it's always been. Only with... something extra."

Shiro smiled down at her then. "...I... I can't wait. It's not the best circumstances and it's definitely not how I imagined I'd have my first kid, but... I'm happy. Are you?"

She looked away. "...I always said I'd never have kids but if I got pregnant I'd keep it. Now I'm actually in that boat it feels weird."

"Yeah, I bet. After all, you're the one who's gonna have to deal with all the physical stuff that comes with babies. But I'm gonna be here for you the whole time."

Kassy smiled slightly. "I know."

***

Weeks passed. And everything came to a head with the Galra.

After a particularly rough fight against one of Zarkon's robeasts, and a near miss, the team came back to the castle, and sat in silence.

"That was... rough." Keith said with a sigh. Rora rubbed his shoulder gently.

"You look exhausted." She commented. "Not a good look."

"Thank you for that." Keith sighed. He looked around. "Wait..."

"Have any of you seen Shiro?" Kassy asked as she put some snacks down in front of the Paladins. There were a few hums of 'no' from them all. "Oh. That's not good. Did you check the black lion?" She asked.

"I'll go look." Pidge said.

"Everyone else split up, search the castle. Maybe he's resting. That was pretty intense." Hunk said. The group nodded, and split up, leaving Coran, Allura, and Kassy alone.

"Are you feeling okay, Kassy?" Coran asked. "We got a bit knocked up there."

"It's alright. That already happened to me." one of her hands went to her stomach. "I'm just worried about Shiro right now."

Pidge returned. "He's not in the black lion."

"Not in his room, either." Keith said.

"Checked the kitchen, he's not there." Hunk joined.

Lance returned. "I checked all the hallways. I couldn't find him."

"Oh." Kassy said. The realisation that Shiro was missing sank in. "Oh, fuck."

Nobody said anything for a moment. Shaking, Kassy took a seat.