Chapter 13

"Kick. Come on, kick." Kassy looked down at the swell of her belly, Lance in front of her. This wasn't particularly how she wanted to bond with the team, but hey, the first ever human pregnancy in space was something to be celebrated. Maybe. "Look, kid, one day you're gonna have to do taxes. I'm not asking for a lot right now." Her eyes met Lance's. "I don't think they wanna."

"Oh, come on, kick for Uncle Lance, I'm literally the only person who hasn't felt at this point. Other than your own father, which is, uh, super duper sad, sorry, Kassy..."

"Ha. Don't worry about it. Oh! There!" She grabbed his hand, placing it onto her stomach. Lance's eyes went wide as he felt the soft kicking.

"Oh, shit, it's like... actually moving!" He laughed softly. "That's so weird, it's like... real. You're gonna have, like, an actual baby, and it's just... walking around inside you."

"Yeah... something like that." She responded.

Coran glanced over from the control panel. "Half way through now... 20 weeks. We're gonna have a little ankle biter in about 4 months."

Kassy nodded, the thought filling her with a mix of anticipation and dread. "That's... kind of terrifying. I can't believe this... it's like, it's not just a pregnancy, it's a whole kid. I keep forgetting that."

"Well, you didn't forget when you found out and dropped the F bomb about 7 times." Coran gave her a pat on the head like she was a lovely dog. Or badger.

"That's just how I cope." Kassy responded, her tone casual.

"That kid's first word is going to be fu- well, I'm not going to say it. But that's what it's going to be."

Kassy laughed, hand on her stomach. "Yeah, probably. At least it will be if I'm the one raising it.."

She wandered over to the couch, taking a seat. The weight of the pregnancy - mental and physical - was really starting to take a toll on her body. Coran gave her a sympathetic look.

"You look miserable, dear."

"Thanks. I feel it."

Lance leant on the couch behind her. "Hey, you don't look that bad. You got that pregnant lady glow going on. It's real pretty."

Kassy responded with a tired smile. "That's sweet, honey." Wanting to move the conversation on from her pregnancy, alongside understanding the need to give the readers a timeframe of where the heck in the series we are, Kassy spoke again. "What's going on with saving the universe, then?"

Coran turned from the control panel. "Well, Zarkon's not doing well... his son's stepped in, and, like his dad, tried stealing our lions. That's what the last kerfuffle was about... that's where we're at. It's funny, he was actually banished from the empire years ago... I wonder who okayed that."

Lance shrugged. "Alien politics are confusing. I don't get it. Just that apparently I have to fight it."

Kassy chuckled. "God...I wish Shiro was here. Keith's doing a great job, but... oh, speaking of Keith, have you seen him, Lance?"

"I'm not seeing Keith." Lance responded quickly, his voice defensive.

She paused, blinking. "...okay? Do you know where he might be?"

Lance shook his head. "Why would I know where Keith is? I don't even care about him, let alone know where he is, I mean, come on, Kassy..." he gave an awkward laugh.

Kassy looked at Coran who shrugged. "...oh, well. I'll go for a little walk, try and find him..."

"I'll come!" Lance butted in as Kassy got to her feet. She looked at him questioningly at his sudden enthusiasm. "...you know... for, uh, protection." He motioned to her stomach.