Chapter 6

Stress was running high in the Paladins. Whatever pressure had been taken off with the cuddle den, drinks, and ABBA had had little effect, and with stakes rising, tension was rising.

So, per Rora's suggestion, Lance was given the task of making a playlist, and the team got together to enjoy a party night.

Hunk made up drinks - which were alcohol free when he made them - and everyone started chatting, drinking, relaxing, and listening to whatever music Lance had put on the playlist.

Soon enough, there was a buzz amongst the team - somehow, the drinks had relaxed them much more than expected.

Keith had seen Rora and Pidge giggling in the kitchen after the drinks were made, and he decided it was probably for the best that he didn't have any. He was well aware of the antics the two could get up to. And it seemed the drinks had somehow become alcoholic in the time it took for Hunk to leave the kitchen and them to be served.

The antics they had gotten up to this time had resulted in Shiro and Kassy trying to teach Allura and Coran the Macarena, without much success.

They weren't the only ones in shambles. Turns out Lance is a sad drunk; and was in the corner crying, while Hunk patted him on the head, singing along with the music loudly.

"No, no, you're not getting it. Here, let me-" Kassy dropped Coran's wrist in hers and gasped as the song changed to The Winner Takes it All by ABBA. "Coran! ABBA!"

"This is my favourite! Ok, guys, don't sing. This is my song. I'm singing." Hunk began singing along with the song, Lance next to him developing into harder sobs.

Kassy laughed and wrapped her arms around Shiro's neck, swaying side to side as she sang along.

"Kassy, shut up, this is my song." Hunk yelled at her from across the room.

Rora and Pidge, at this point, were crying laughing, of course slightly tiddly themselves. Keith turned to them. "Okay, what did you do?"

"Well, Kassy was making cocktails with something." Rora explained. "She didn't hide the alcohol very well."

"Look at everyone. What if the Galra attack? They can't fight like this, Coran is literally rolling around on the floor!"

The two girls looked over at Coran, who was in fact, rolling around on the floor.

"Don't get your panties in a twist." Pidge said. "It's worth it. Look at these guys."

Keith looked over the room. Shiro and Kassy dancing, Hunk singing, Coran rolling around, Lance sobbing, and Allura looking a bit confused. "You even got Shiro."

"Who'd have thought he'd be such a lightweight, with those muscles?" Rora laughed.

"Not me!" Pidge replied.

"So am I the only sober one here?" Keith said. "Who's piloting this?"

"Nobody currently."

Keith sighed and rubbed his temple. "Okay, I'll be doing that, I guess." he wandered off. The minute Rora and Pidge were alone, they developed into more laughter.

Meanwhile, Kassy and Shiro had danced their way into the hallway. The music was muffled, but the two enjoyed the small moment of privacy, laughing at each other's slight lack of grace.

"You have no idea how much I missed you." Kassy mumbled, resting her chin on his shoulder. "I honestly thought the Galra were going to kill me. This reminds me of when were kids. Remember how we used to go up that hill and sing Mariah Carey?"

Shiro nodded. "Yeah! We were such weird kids. I always wanted a white christmas, but unfortunately we lived in Arizona."

She laughed and nodded. "Then it all stopped. You went to fancy smart people private high school."

Shiro nodded. "Yeah. I missed you then. When I saw you at the Garrison, and found out we'd be on the Kerberos mission together..."

"What was your first thought when you saw me?"

Shiro chuckled. "You really wanna know?"

"Yeah." She smiled.

"...I thought your boobs looked huge. And I still do. Sorry."

Kassy laughed. "It's alright. It had been a few years since you'd last seen me."

He smiled. "I was kinda worried at the time. Me and my ex were... well, we were going through a rough patch. I didn't want to suddenly start viewing my childhood best friend as a pair of boobs, you know?"

"...I don't mind."

There was a moment of silence. It suddenly felt tense.

The muffled music changed. "Is that Accidentally In Love? Lance definitely put that on." Kassy laughed.

Shiro chuckled, trying to deplete the tense atmosphere. "Definitely." He wrapped his arms around her, and pulled her into a tight hug. "Sorry for everything you've been though. It's unfair."

She hugged back. "I know. But, oh well." She paused, humming along, burying her head in his shoulder. "I'm so drunk." she mumbled.

Shiro laughed. "I am too."

She smiled, feeling herself blush. His presence suddenly wasn't just her old friend; she felt something new. Something burnt inside her, and her hips pressed against his.

"I would never do this sober." She whispered.

And, before she could stop to think about it, she pressed her lips against Shiro's.

To her surprise, he kissed back, almost immediately, as if he'd wanted it. Then she realised, he had wanted it.

She found the hand of his Galra arm, and squeezed it. His free hand went to her waist. The minute the kiss ended, she dragged him straight to his bedroom.

"Are we really about to do this?" she asked.

Shiro nodded. "I have some frustrations I need to get out somehow."

And with a laugh, Kassy was pushed onto her back.

***

"Ugh. Hangover cures for everyone." Hunk said.

"Who put alcohol in those drinks?" Allura asked, sipping at a glass of water.

"I bet it was Lance." Pidge said, before her and Rora giggled. Lance responded with the most dramatic groan that had ever been heard, his head completely glued to the table.

"Come on guys, stop lying." Keith said. "Wait, where's Shiro? And Kassy?"

"Probably still asleep. They drank the most."

Shiro's eyes opened blearily. He glanced down, and realised he was cradling Kassy in his very naked arms.

Kassy also wasn't wearing clothes, her long hair had become tangled, and her eyeliner smudged.

"Oh, fuck." he mumbled. Kassy stirred and looked up at him, before gasping.

"Shit."

Shiro nodded. "I know."

She glanced down at her naked body. "Shit."

"I know."

She got out of the bed, gathering her clothes, redressing, and leaving. "Bye."