saying goodbye

A cold shiver raced through my entire body as I approached the park and noticed that Jason had something in his hands. Beer.
No, I thought to myself. Is he going to hit me? Should i turn around? But then he'd be mad that I stood him up and he'd definently hit me. A nervous sweat broke out over my palms and forehead. He noticed me walking and gave me a slurred hello.
Too late to turn around now.

I felt hot tears spilling down my cheeks and fought to make them stop. He said a few more slurred greetings and asked me what we needed to talk about. He sounded more annoyed than worried for what I was about to say.

I struggled to get the words out of my throat. But they all spilled out in a confident phrase. "you've been drinking and I can't handle it. I'm done with the cuts and bruises. We are done" I was glad to be free. Maybe now I would not get hurt any more.

I guess I thought too soon.

I felt a tug on my arm as i began to walk away and an angry voice some in my ear. "You're not going anywhere bitch!"
I was whipped around to meet his face but was on the ground in seconds. No sound escaped my throat although I tried so hard for even a humming sound. Nothing. I felt the punches to my shoulders and my jaw. Several snaps and cracks sounded in my ears as I heard my heart beating faster and faster. One more blow to my face knocked me out cold.

I woke to the moving of a hospital bed rolling me down the hall to the E.R. at a fast speed and due to exhaustion, I blacked out again.