chapter three

October 27th 2011

"Love do you happen to have an extra pen on you?"

Breathe in and out. No need to panic. Don't mess this up.

For almost two whole months Daphne managed to keep invisible to the others in her sonography training classes.

Until now.

"Here you go."

Simple enough, there was no need for all the worry.

"Oh thank you! I'm sorry I didn't catch your name?"

Damn it.

"Daphne, my names Daphne." She extended her hand to shake the other woman's.

"Well I'm Johanna."

The instructor dismissed them saving Daphne from having to go on in boring polite conversation.

"Deary wait up you forgot your pen!"

Or so she thought.

"Oh you can keep it."

Johanna seemed to get a frustrated face.

"Is this the most you've said to anyone in this course?" Her tone was motherly, even in force and concern.

"I'm not a very social person."

Her face softened and she handed back the pen.

"You are the youngest and some of the other women were wondering if you were a mute so they asked me to check."

To her surprise Daphne started laughing.

"I've heard foreign exchange student but never mute! That's a good one!" Immediately she sobered up seeing the knowing smile on the older woman's face.

"I knew it."

Daphne cocked her head to the side in confusion waiting for her to elaborate.

"I knew you were funny."