Chapter 1 - Rhea Ripley.

2020...

The world had changed since the pandemic struck. For Lily, it had been seven years since she had set foot in a wrestling ring, seven years since she had felt any passion for the sport that had defined her for so long. She was now twenty-four, living alone in a small apartment, the only life she had ever known since the world outside had been deemed unsafe. The constant isolation had taken its toll on her, draining her of any energy or enthusiasm she once possessed. She had recently found out she was a lesbian, explains perfectly the no interest in boys.

Lily's thoughts inevitably drifted to the girl she had met before the pandemic hit. They had shared a wonderful date, laughing and talking for hours over dinner. There was an undeniable spark between them, and for a brief moment, Lily thought that she had finally found someone who understood her. But then, just as quickly as it had started, everything came crashing down when the world went into lockdown. The girl never responded to her texts or calls, and Lily was left feeling lost and abandoned.

The lifting of some of the restrictions offered Lily a small glimmer of hope. Perhaps, she thought, she could finally gather the courage to try and talk to the girl and try to rekindle their connection. Or perhaps, she could use this opportunity to visit her mother, who she hadn't seen in person since the start of the pandemic. The thought of seeing her mother again made Lily's heart ache with longing. She knew that she had to tell her about her sexuality; she couldn't keep living this lie any longer. But the fear of her mother's reaction was still there, looming in the back of her mind.

As Lily made the journey to her mother's house, she found herself lost in thought. She tried to imagine how the conversation would go, rehearsing different ways to break the news. Would her mother be supportive? Disapproving? Angry? She didn't know, and the uncertainty only served to heighten her anxiety.

When she finally arrived at her childhood home, Lily took a deep breath and gathered her courage. She knocked on the door, her heart racing in her chest. Her mother answered, looking older but no less loving than Lily remembered. The two women embraced tightly, as if they had been apart for a lifetime.

"It's so good to see you, sweetie," her mother said, pulling back to look at her. "You look well. How have you been?"
Lily smiled weakly. "I've been... holding up, I guess. It's good to see you too, Mum." She paused, taking a deep breath. "There's something I need to tell you."
Her mother's expression shifted from warmth to concern. "Oh, dear. Is everything all right?"
Lily took a deep breath. "Yes, everything's fine, it's just... I need to tell you something about me. Something important." She hesitated, searching her mother's face for any sign of judgment. "Mum, I'm a lesbian."

Her mother's eyes widened in surprise, but she did not seem shocked or angry. Instead, she nodded slowly, as if she had expected this. "Oh, sweetheart," she said, taking Lily's hand in hers. "I'm so sorry that you had to go through all this alone. I wish you could have told me earlier."
Lily felt a mixture of relief and disappointment.
She had hoped for a more dramatic reaction, but at the same time, her mother's calm acceptance was reassuring. "It's been hard, Mum," she admitted, her voice trembling. "I wasn't sure how you'd take it."

Her mother squeezed her hand gently. "Oh, sweetie, you know your mother loves you no matter what. I'm just sorry that I couldn't provide you with the support you needed." She paused, considering her words carefully. "I guess I never really thought about it before, but I should have known something was different. You were just never interested in boys."

Lily felt a warmth spread through her chest at her mother's understanding and acceptance. It was everything she had been hoping for. "Thank you, Mum," she whispered, tears welling up in her eyes. "It means so much to me that you're okay with this."