Finding a place pt. 2

Deepti's POV

I confirmed to the apartment owner uncle that I like the place and agreed to rent it. He requested me to settle the advance and collect the keys tomorrow.

Before I left the place, I requested the uncle's phone to try and make a call to my phone.

It was ringing. After a while, someone answered.

D: Hello?

There was no reply, but someone was on the line because I could hear background noise from the line. It sounded like the person was in traffic.

D: Hi, I'm Deepti. You're talking from my phone. Where did you find my phone? Where can I meet you to get it? Hello?

The line gets disconnected. So rude. No other choice, I have to buy another phone. I thanked the uncle for lending me his phone and left.

I walked to the bus stop and waited for my bus. It is around noon. My tummy started to rumble. I would buy something to cook at the supermarket near Sanjay's house.

My bus arrived and I got in. It's kind of cloudy. Hopefully it doesn't rain, I didn't bring an umbrella. My ride will take at least half an hour.

Soon it started raining heavily. I was still on the way. Why is my day like this?

Once I reached the stop, I got off and ran to take cover from the rain. I still got wet. It's ok I can change once I get to Sanjay's house.

I walked to the supermarket and got some ingredients to make my self something to eat.

I payed at the cashier and walked back to Sanjay's house.

I reached the front door and it dawned on me. How stupid was I. Ugh 😩. I don't have the keys to open the door. I rang the doorbell and knocked on it, hoping that Sanjay was home. But I know, he wouldn't be home at this time.

It must be around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  He wouldn't be back soon I guess. I can't call him too, I don't have a phone nor do I remember his number. It is saved in my phone.

What do I do? I feel so hungry. I can't order online. I need a phone to do that. I put all the things that I bought next to the door.

Started to walk to the nearest place to buy anything to eat. I order some thosai and waited for it to come.

Without a phone, it was very awkward to sit and stare at others. My food came after a while and it felt like forever.

I quickly dug in and ate it. It was so good, probably because I hadn't had anything since morning and just the plain thosai tasted damn good.

I finished eating and paid for my food and left to Sanjay's house once again.

I just sat by the door, waiting for Sanjay to come home. Eventually my tiring day caught up to me and I had fallen asleep outside.

Sanjay's POV

Finally I have reached home. Traffic drained all the energy out of me and I'm hungry. Should order something to eat after a quick shower.

I parked my car and walked to my house.

Is that Deepti sitting by the door in this cold night weather?

"Deepti? Deepti?"

I shook her and she woke up. She was shivering and she is having a fever. Her body is burning up. Her clothes are wet.

"Deepti, what is the matter? Are you dumb? Why are you sitting outside and why are you wet?"

She mumbles something unconsciously. There is groceries in some bags next to her.

Did she go shopping and get locked outside? But if she went shopping, how did she close the door in the first place.

I'm so confused. I unlock the door and put my office stuff and the grocery bag inside next to the door.

I ran to Deepti's room and got her towel and a set of clothes for her to change from her wardrobe. I put the clothes in a bag and ran back to her.

I lock the door and carry Deepti to the car along with the spare set of clothes.

She keeps mumbling inaudible stuff. I drove as quickly and cautious as I could to the nearest hospital.

I drive up to the emergency section and call out for the nurse. They bring a wheelchair and take Deepti in.

I parked my car at the parking lot and ran back to the emergency ward. As I approach the emergency ward door, a nurse stops me. She gives me a form and ask me "you were the one who brought in the girl in the white wet dress?" she sounded annoyed.

I nod and say "yes".

"Fill in the form for her admission and are you her husband? She questions.

I look at her like she spoke in a foreign language. Trying to understand what she just said.

She snaps her fingers in front of my face. "mister! Are. you. the. husband. The. girl. you. brought. just. now?" She says each word with a pause like she is talking to a five year old.

I nod. "Fill it hurry" she says and leaves.

I look at the paper at hand. It is asking for her name, age, date of birth, address, phone number, and my relationship with her.

I can answer those questions, but it is also asking if she has insurance. I'm not sure if she does. I fill in the rest and gave it at the nurse that was sitting behind a desk.

"Where is Deepti?" I asked to her.

"Who?" She asks and says "oh you mean your wife. She is being treated. You can sit here by the waiting area and we will let you know if she gets moved to a room or if she can get discharged."

I nod and just sat down at the chair by the hallway. But my mind races back to the question, why was Deepti outside and why didn't she just call me on my phone? I need to know the answer for this.

To be continued...

__

Hi everyone 👋
Hope you like the story. Do share your thoughts by liking and commenting.