Chapter 9

The night of the reunion

Almost everyone is having fun at the pool, but instead of joining them in, Arlo decided to just sit and drink on the bar counter. He doesn't intend to get drunk, but he just isn't the type to participate on recreational activities like this.

He thought he's just going to have peace while drinking wine, but John joined him all of a sudden.

"You're drinking alone there. Got your heart broken or something?" John joked, sitting on the stool beside him.

He wanted to tell him to leave, but as annoying as John is, it's best to just be civil with him.

"I'm just bored. I'm not exactly fond on participating on stuff like this, John."

"So... how have you been, Arlo?"

Are they really doing this?

"I'm doing well, I hope you are too."

Arlo poured himself another glass of wine, and John got himself a glass, doing the same thing as he did. He took a sip first, and Arlo can see the slight shift on his expression.

Is this his first time drinking?

"You look like you've never drank an alcohol before. If you're gonna drink, at least learn how to drink right." he told John, "That's not how you hold a wine glass. Haven't you been listening when this was taught in Wellston?"

The blond demonstrated him on how it's done, and John's expression changed in annoyance.

"Bitch. Who cares about some stupid rules like that? You probably couldn't finish a single bottle of it. I bet you're just for show." John said, gulping the wine quickly afterwards.

"Says the one who looks inexperienced." Arlo said, "Look at you, you just drank a single glass, but your face is already red."

"Oh?" John suddenly grabbed the wine bottle that was placed on the counter, gulping the remaining contents of it down. To be fair, the wine bottle is only less than a half full when he grabbed it.

"Is that all you can, John? How weak you are." Arlo stood-up, getting a bottle of vodka. He poured the vodka in a shot glass, then drinking it in elegance, "This is a 60% vodka. The wine bottle from earlier only has 13%."

He originally had no intention of getting drunk, but something about John just keeps on provoking him. Arlo poured vodka for John in another shot glass, challenging him to drink it.

"Do you think I'm gonna back down, Arlo?" John grabbed the glass from his hand, drinking it with speed. The expression on his face distorted, but he still managed to finished drinking the vodka.

As expected, John really is inexperienced when it comes to drinking. The wise and intelligent choice would be to stop now, but Arlo repeated the process: pouring himself a glass, drinking it, and pouring another one for John.

John didn't even seemed to have a high tolerance, but he still drank it again. Arlo poured himself another glass, but John suddenly just decided to drink the entire bottle of vodka down.

"John, fine I already lost- stop! You'll get alcohol poisoning if you do that!" Arlo took the bottle away from him, not wanting the other man to potentially harm himself.

Unlike the small contents of wine left on the bottle, the vodka is not something that he can just drink straight.

Thankfully, he wasn't able to finish the entire bottle, only managing to drink a portion of it.