Chapter One

‧ ♪ ° ‣ ‧

| A MONTH LATER |

The skyscrapers rise above the city, creating large shadows that come quite handy during the suffocating summer day. People are mostly spending their time in bars and street markets, hiding from the heat that makes everyone sweat, but it doesn't stop anyone from not being busy.

Kids are the only ones running around, playing, while the teens occupy themselves with basketball and hanging out in the park.

I move through the neighborhood to finally get to a more silent part, dreading to escape after the climbing lesson I finished only about a few minutes ago.

After getting passed on at Montero's last month, I had to find something else to fill my mind with. The grief of leaving dance behind is still catching up to me, but I need something to be good at.

The afternoon sun beams right onto my skin, warming it up on the way as I round a corner. I can feel the beads of sweat forming on my forehead and wipe them off with the back of my hand, annoyance filling me up.

I hold my flask and decide to try my luck with lifting it up to drink up the last remaining drops of water, which aren't cold anymore. I can't wait to get home.

"Yo, Cass!"

My head turns, and the tension in my jaw, and the crease between my brows immediately wipes from my face.

"Hey Marty," I smile, watching my neighbor stride closer. He's in his usual baggy jeans and a white vest, having a smug expression on his face.

"Where's a fine lady like you going off to?" he swings his arm over my shoulders.

"Just got off practice. Heading home," I tilt my head. I haven't told anyone about leaving dance behind, knowing a word spreads fast, and I definitely don't want my brother finding out about it.

"Got some time later?" Marty smirks, and I already know what he's going to ask, but decide to play the clueless anyway.

"For what? I don't have a car for you to fix." I say with amusement, looking back at his garage.

"I can pick you up tonight, take you for a spin, buy you some chicken wings." he grins.

"Not going on a date with you, Marty." I laugh lightly, seeing his brows drop.

"Alright, I tried." he chuckles and backs off. "Say hi to your momma. I'll see you around, Cass."

‧ ♪ ° ‣ ‧