Chapter Four

‧ ♪ ° ‣ ‧

"Did you see my tan?" Mel purses her lips into a kiss-manner and keeps her hands horizontally under her chin, getting a chuckle out of me as I look at her across the table.

"I did," I laugh. "You look like a different person."

"Mm, well, I was catching a lot more guys than usual," she flips her ponytail over her shoulder.

"Obviously." I look up at the ceiling for a second and laugh. We're at a diner, catching up and I couldn't be happier to have my best friend back after so long.

For the past hour, we've been talking nonstop, never running out of things to say. It took me back to months ago, when we were hanging out every day, so I'm excited to have that back again.

"There was this waiter at the hotel pool. Man, you should've seen him. He had the most perfect green eyes ever!" Mel sighs dreamily. "But he didn't even ask for my number!"

I gasp. "What?"

"Yeah, but at least he was there for my service of Cosmo's." she laughs. "I think I got a little drunk. I was ordering so much just so he'd come around!"

"You're crazy." I shake my head.

"What?" she acts innocent. "I had him bring me up to my room once."

"Mel!" I laugh, throwing a fry over at her and she picks one up to throw back at me.

"What!" she laughs and I see she hasn't changed at all. I love that about her.

"Unbelievable."

"You know me," she winks, going back to her food. "Now, tell me how you been." Mel cheekily shakes her shoulders and looks over at me. "What's been new since I was gone?"

"Well," I chew on my food. "I'm not at Montero's anymore. I gave up dancing."

"For what?" Her mouth hangs open as she watches me.

"I didn't even make the team. I was goin' in circles all the time. I don't feel like it was the right place for me."

"Well, that coach of yours was startin' to irritate me. So on the bright side, thank God you left. She's even worse than Natalie," Mel says. "By the way, I'mma need to grant y'all a visit. When d'ya start tomorrow?"

"Eleven."

"Expect me, boo," she winks. "I'll stop by."

F A I R

‧ ♪ ° ‣ ‧

| NEXT DAY |

"Here you go." I smile at the customer and place the milkshake on the counter. "Have a nice day."

"Thank you." The woman responds and walks away.

The day's been dragging slower than usual. Not many people are at the fair since it's in the middle of the week and I would almost prefer it if I had something else to occupy my time with.

I look up at the box with the screen on the upper corner of our shop and with a sigh, I grab the remote and turn it on. Music enters my ears and the camera moves to Kurt Cobain playing the guitar and singing on MTV. I sit on the plastic chair and watch him, thinking about how it must feel to do what you love in front of thousands of people. And do it good, while they all admire.

"See you got nothin' to do." I hear a voice and look up where Mel is leaning over the counter with a grin plastered on her face. She looks up at the TV and enters the shop to sit down by my side.

"Ahh, he's such a hottie." I feel her head lean on my shoulder. "I wish I could've been that guitar of his..."

I almost snort, covering my mouth as laughter escapes my lips. "Don't say stuff like that!"

"Can you blame me?" Mel laughs. "I still can't forget the way he smirked at me last year when we went to his concert."

We hear a noise from somewhere behind us and know exactly who it is once the blue apron, just like the one I'm wearing, appears at the doorway.

"Hey, Nat." Mel wiggles her fingers, making my manager turn around with a scowl, before her brows raise up. She puts the bag of popcorn seeds on the desk before wiping her hands down and getting to our side.

"Havin' a blast, ain't ya?" she shakes her head, seeing that Mel is back here with me again, which she isn't supposed to be. Natalie looks her up and down with amusement. "I didn't know you're back. Cassie didn't mention it."

"I wanted it to be a surprise!" Mel grins. "I'm sure you missed me. Give me a squeeze!"

"Go back out." Natalie dodges the embrace and turns my best friend around, nudging her out.

"But no one's here." Mel sighs.

"That's 'cause you be scarin' everyone away. Go." Natalie waves her hands, shooing her back outside.

I laugh at the interaction as I stand back up, seeing the almost deserted place before me. The rollercoasters aren't working yet, nor is the Ferris wheel. Only smaller rides are turned on due to the few people that are walking around.

Mel drags herself back out front again, resting her elbows on the counter. "Can I get a milkshake at least?"

Natalie sighs at her grin and I start to make the strawberry flavored drink. It's Mel's favorite, though I never understood why. It doesn't taste good to me.

Natalie brings her hands on her hips. "Stop comin' back here. You know it's only fo' the employees."

"Hire me then." Mel shrugs.

"Hell nah." Natalie clicks her tongue. "I don't want y'all chattin' up here all day and do nothin'."

"I'll be out ya hair, then," Mel says, taking the milkshake from me and waving at us both. "But I'll definitely see ya later!"

‧ ♪ ° ‣ ‧