Chapter Forty Six

‧ ♪ ° ‣ ‧

"Be careful," says mom and pulls me into a tight hug once we're saying our goodbyes. It's a late afternoon, my family lined up on the sidewalk, excluding Mario who probably felt that I wouldn't want him here. I have mixed feelings about it, but I'm glad that Mel and Marty came to wish us a good trip.

Just like that, days quickly turned into weeks and all of a sudden we are now hours away from the competition that might change our lives forever. Our flight to Los Angeles is at midnight and I would be lying if I said I'm not excited about it. I've never been on a plane before.

"You're gonna kick ass, boo." Mel embraces me tightly once her turn comes around.

"I know you'll cheer the loudest."

"You bet I will." She winks and walks away to say goodbye to Tae. With their blossiming relationship and a visible change of character in both of them, I can confidently say that they have found their perfect match, making me feel like a proud parent every time I see their heart eyes and sweet kisses.

Deciting to give them their moment, I pick up my bag from the ground and throw it inside JK's truck before turning back around and observing everyone's interactions. My mom makes sure to embrace each one of the guys, having all of them grin at her words of encouragement. With gratitude, they all accept the bunch of snacks that she made sure to prepare beforehand.

"Take this. It's for good luck." Ronnie's voice lifts my eyes to hers and she comes to my side, placing a crocheted turtle in my hand that immediately strikes my brows upwards.

"When did you have time to make this?" I chuckle and hold it up, seeing its small face. "Thanks," I say, giving her another hug, but my eyes drift to JK and my mom.

"Take care of each other, okay?" she asks him.

"You ain't gotta worry 'bout that." He replies, giving her a nod of reassurance and she squeezes both of his hands, trusting that things are going to be okay. 

Waving to each other once the two cars leave the driveway, I keep my eyes on Marty as he places his arms around Ronnie and my mom, watching us depart from their view. All of it feels as if I'm leaving for years, when in reality, I'm coming back just after this weekend is over.

I'm not sure how much time passes until JK makes a turn and we stop at the gas station to fill up the tank. Tae and J-hope, who are sitting in the back, are quick to jump out and get inside to grab some drinks for the way, but I occupy myself with skimming through some CDs, desperately needing some music to accompany us.

The door to the drivers side opens first, and I look up, catching JK's eyebrows flash. "Got ya somethin' to eat." He pushes a small plastic box into my hands as a delicious smell fills the air. He closes the door shut behind him, ready to get us all back on the road again.