Chapter Twenty Seven

‧ ♪ ° ‣ ‧

I can feel the sweat forming on both of my palms, causing me to hold on to the strap of my bag even firmer. As quiet as I can be, I place one foot in front of the other and close the door behind my entrance to the inside of my home. There's nobody in sight, yet, and I should take that advantage to get to my room as fast and careful as I possibly can.

It's still early in the morning, so I'm planning to get a few more hours of sleep before having to go to work later on. My legs hurt from holding me up the entire day, and my neck is sore from sleeping in JK's truck on the way back, so the only sight that's inviting me into its embrace is the one of my bed.

After succesfully managing to get into my room with no prying eyes, I discard my jacket and put my bag on the floor. I take some fresh clothes out of the closet to bring them to the bathroom with me, and just as I'm securing my hair up with the clip, a knock on the door makes me freeze. I don't move for the next few seconds, in hopes of not having to deal with anyone so early, but the person stays persistent.

"I know you're in there, Cass." Mario's voice calls out from the other side, and I exhale a long breath before going to open.

Mario stands there with crossed arms and a blank look in his eyes, which tells me that he's angry because I wasn't available for the whole weekend. The irritation is clearly audible in his tone when he speaks, "Where were you?"

"I told you I was with Mel."

"You were supposed to get back yesterday," he says, averting his eyes to see the bag I left on the floor. "Matter of fact, you're out late as it is. Where you goin' every day?"

My brow raises involuntarily and I keep my hand on the doorknob. "It's summer. I'm with my friends, and we're hangin' out."

"Nah nah nah, you bein sus'," he says. "What'cha hidin' from me?"

"Nothing!" a slight change of tone is evident in my voice. "Why are you assuming shit?"

"Why you gettin' mad?" He fires back.

"Cause you wanna control me."

"Nah, Cass, you got it twisted. I wanna know where you at, and why you don't answer the phone when I call ya. Never said you can't go somewhere."

"What the hell is happenin' here with you two?" A sleepy voice joins the conversation and I look to the side to see Ronnie stepping out of her room and pulling her sleeping mask up to her forehead to see us clearly. "Can y'all let me sleep?"

"You said you were gonna get back yesterday." Mario turns back to me and completely ignores her request. A side of me is glad that I have Ronnie backing me up now, since I'm way too tired to argue with him.