Chapter Eleven

‧ ♪ ° ‣ ‧

"It's so hot today." Mel complains as she fans her face with a magazine. "We should go to the pool."

"Yeah, but I've got work at six."

She glances over at the clock on the wall. "Eh, still five hours away."

"I still need to shower after if we're planning to go, and we need to get there and back, so four."

Mel rolls her eyes as she stands up. "We need to hurry up then. I'll lend you one of my bikinis." She folds her magazine and slaps it across my backside once she passes me.

With a playful look, Mel glances over her shoulder to see my glare, which only makes her let out another laugh. "C'mon!"

Once dressed and ready, we get into her car and drive to the pool. Mel's one of those people who always looks flawless, no matter the occasion. She's got a pair of cute sunglasses on and a pretty beach bag, looking all girly and approachable.

Me, on the other hand, look more serious. It's often the case that I'm like a Kat to her Bianca.

"Let's go catch some meat." Mel winks playfully, walking between the mass of bodies that tan in the sun and past the kids that run around, playing. The place is packed, but we still manage to find a spot to put down our things.

She strips immediately, not wanting to miss another second of not soaking in the sun. Her bikini is yellow with a light blue green stripe running the edges, while mine is orange with a lavender stripe around.

"What happened with that guy yesterday? You seemed to hit it off." Mel asks, placing her towel on a deck chair.

"It was nothing. He just walked me home."

"He's cute." Mel smiles. "Like best friend cute."

"He is, right?" we giggle like some little girls.

"He's one of Mario's friends. They used to dance together," I say.

"I suppose you're gonna hang out more when you join their team."

"If I join." I correct her.

Mel clicks her tongue, making me shake my head as we lay down on our deck chairs. For the next few hours, we enjoy our time, cooling ourselves off in the water and getting lazy on the sun, occasionally having some kids run past and splash our backs with the cold droplets. It makes me laugh how Mel always gets annoyed.

I empty my water bottle, placing it back into my backpack before opening my magazine. Mel shifts beside me, peeking at the pages.

"She's such a star-struck wannabe." Mel rolls her eyes, looking at some girl in my magazine.

"Why?" I ask, not even recognizing the girl on the picture. She's standing next to an actress that I've seen on TV before.

"I mean, it's obvious she's tryin' too hard," Mel says. "Anyway, can you tie my..." I nod, seeing her point to her back where she previously untied her bikini. She's one of those girls that absolutely hate tan lines.

"Thanks," Mel says and turns around. She's still for a moment before standing up and moving the beach umbrella so that we can lay in the shade. "It's too damn hot." she mutters, making the corner of my mouth lift. We're in silence for a little while, and I turn around as well, glancing over to the clock on the lifeguard tower.

"Ooh la la, what do we got over there." Mel pushes her sunglasses a little lower on the bridge of her nose and looks ahead, making my curious eyes follow along. "Ain't that yo' boy?"

My eyes search for her target and soon land on the mysterious dancer. My eyes trail over his glistening abdomen, drops of water running down his tanned skin. I watch as he runs a hand through his raven hair, oblivious to all the women ogling him as he walks back to his friends. They reside on the opposite side of the pool, right in our view.

"He's not my boy." I narrow my eyes at Mel, grabbing my magazine to put it back up in front of my face.

"Has he reached out yet?"

I shake my head.

"He probably still seein' stars from the way your body moved." She teases, making me chuckle. 

"Shut up." I feel my cheeks warming up. "I hope everyone forgets about it soon."

"Well, I sure as hell won't." She leans back on the deck chair and closes her eyes, but there's a hint of a smile still lingering on her lips.

"Stop." I nudge her arm. "Is that why you wanted to come here?"

"No," she says. "I didn't know they'll be here. But it only adds to the view."

I roll my eyes at her chuckle and stand up. "Want something to drink?"

"A pepsi would be nice." She relaxes in her position and I walk off to the drinks stand.

I get myself a Snapple and wait until I need to pay, turning my head to the right once I see someone else approaching. JK comes my way, his eyes snapping up to me. I suddenly feel breathless when his brows jump in greeting. I nod back, taking my drinks and turning to leave, but get stopped by his voice.

"Know where the park's at?" He mindlessly grabs whatever he bought, doesn't look at me, yet I know that the question was directed my way. I wait for him to continue and he finally looks up after placing some cash on the counter. "Come by today.'Round five."

"What for?" I ask, fastening my steps to keep up with him.

JK smirks, looking sideways. "You wanna know what I decided, no?"

"Oh." My brows jump up. "Already?" We're nearing the place where Mel is laying, and I glance back at him. "I'll be there." I assure, seeing him nod before he walks ahead. 

‧ ♪ ° ‣ ‧