I love it when you beg

*three months later*

"Kory..." I trailed off as I answered the door. Kory stood still as a statue, a paper bag hanging from her hand.

"Hey, I know you stayed home today to watch your mum so I just wanted to call in and make sure you'd eaten something." She gestured to the paper. "I know what you're like, you can forget to eat if you're too focused on other stuff."

On top of being nice to me, she was likely avoiding going home. The house was empty, aside from Kody. Cait was gone, at least temporarily.

She was targeted by Scratch the same as Jack had been—as a method of getting to Hotch. All three of them had gone into witness protection together, and I'll never forget the look on Kory's face when she found out. Her anger and sadness had both been visible at the same time. Cait had told her that she was going to visit family for a while, so when she found out with the rest of us what had really happened, she was devastated...

Relieved that they would be safe, but devastated they were gone all the same.

It meant that Kory was now living by herself, and she was avoiding it at all costs. This was just another one of her avoidance tactics, and normally I might have let it work. I could use the distraction, but...

"Thanks, Kory, I, uh—"

"I don't have to come in if you don't want me to. All I wanted to do was make sure you'd eaten, and if I drop this Thai food off then I'll assume that you'll catch a whiff of it's exquisite smell and devour it within minutes." She passed the bag towards me, so I took it from her. And she was right. It did smell amazing. "Now that I have completed my task, I will bid you—"

"Spencer, who's at the door?" I flinched at Mum's voice and Kory noticed, judging from the way her eyebrows pinched.

"It's a friend of mine, she just dropped us off some dinner," I replied before Kory could ask me why I'd flinched. Or why there was a bruise on my cheek in the shape of my mother's hand.

"Where are your manners? Aren't you going to invite them in?" Well, I guess I couldn't really argue with that. Mum seemed to be okay after she took a nap, so maybe it would be okay to let Kory in.

"Would you like to come in?" I asked, and Kory smiled. I'll take that as a yes.

I moved out the way of the door and let her in. Mum approached us cautiously, just in case Kory was a threat instead of a friend.

"Mum, this is Kory, and Kory this is Diana." I introduced them, and Kory stuck out her hand for Mum to shake. As Mum heard me speak Kory's name, her shoulders relaxed and she reached out her own hand.

"It's nice to meet you, Diana." Kory shook Mum's hand before they let go.

"And it's nice to finally meet you. Spencer spoke about you all the time in Paris. He told me a lot when I asked who he was calling every day." Well, I guess letting Kory in had been a mistake.