a shattered mess

The amount of stolen glances between Kory and I since the impromptu dinner date

The amount of stolen glances between Kory and I since the impromptu dinner date... it would be a lie to say I'd lost count. The number was exponentially high, and it was less worrisome to think of the number since we'd jumped on the plane to get back home from the Believers.

Twenty-seven.

Twenty-seven when the flight was, by all definitions, short. If the team hadn't noticed, then they were fucking blind. But the fact they hadn't said anything made me think they were more likely just keeping their mouths shut. It was something I appreciated, to say the least.

It meant we'd been able to land without being asked a single question. And that gave us time to work on how we would approach the subject of us dating with Emily.

Not that we'd managed to come up with a plan and now it was definitely too late to do so.

"I think we all know what this is going to be about..." Emily said as Kory and I sat across her desk from her. "So I won't drag this out any longer than I have to."

"Spence and I are dating." Kory's voice was so calm that I almost missed the conviction behind the words. "I have the paperwork filled out, it just needs to be signed and approved." Kory dropped a document onto the desk.

"Okay, that's a good start." Emily picked up the papers and skimmed through them. "Now, unfortunately, this isn't the end of how this works. Risk assessments need to be completed, the team needs to write their own reports... the goal is to avoid a transfer. But that is going to be difficult given Kory's current training plan. Have you talked about what will happen if one of you needs to be transferred?"

Kory looked at me, a worried look on her face. I didn't like that expression on her in the slightest.

"If one of us needs to be transferred..." I tore my eyes away from her to look back at Emily. "I'm happy to go into teaching full time."

"Good, I was going to recommend that as we can still use you as a consultant on cases that way. Whether we end up needing you to consult on every case we have after that point... well, that's something we'll worry about later if we have to." At least she was honest about her plan. "I'll also need to send you two to talk to someone about this. It'll be part of the risk assessment."

"Of course," Kory replied. "Could I recommend the person I've already been seeing, if possible? She just has all my history already and it would save us some time."

"That sounds like a good idea, if you send me their contact details through email I'll get that sorted for you." Emily looked at her computer screen, as if it had a list of everything she needed to do because of us. "Okay, I think the only thing beyond that is that I recommend something. From a personal standpoint and not a professional one, you two should get married as soon as you're comfortable to. The implied volatility of a relationship decreases after marriage, so it'll be harder to try and separate you after that."