I couldn't catch a break

I couldn't catch a break. Seriously, I could never fucking catch one. I thought that with Kory and I having worked out most of our problems that maybe my luck had finally taken a turn for the better.

Sure, we didn't have sex the night we sorted it all out, but that's only because she fell asleep during the movie. It wasn't for any other reason than she'd been exhausted and that she'd been comfortable in my presence. We'd shared the bed for the night, and it was honestly the best I'd slept for a very long time. I could almost attribute my ability to close that case so quickly to the fact I'd managed a full night's sleep because of her.

But then we got back and I had that email about Owen Quinn and now Kory and I had been kidnapped. Garcia had managed to slip away thanks to a distraction from me, but now Kory and I were in the back of a truck...

And they planned to kill me.

Two-hundred and ninety-nine victims. And I was to be their last.

I had no clue what they planned to do to Kory, but I couldn't let them kill her too. All I had to do was work out how to convince them to keep her alive...

That was easier said than done.

Theo had been killed because of my distraction, and they were going to hold that against me the same way they did Benjamin's death from too many years ago. It meant they were unlikely to hand me any favours, but I had to try.

I was tied to a chair, directly in front of Kory who was unconscious and tied up as well. They'd already threatened to kill me, placed a knife against my throat... but I had to stop them from...

Kory wasn't breathing.

Fuck, she wasn't breathing.

"Kory..." I whispered, but she didn't stir. That was to be expected, since they'd hit her with some kind of anaesthetic that I didn't have the details of. I watched her chest, but there wasn't any movement. "Kory!" The Believers in the trailer all turned to look at me as I fought against my restraints. "She's not breathing!"

None of them moved as tears filled my eyes.

They couldn't let her die.

They couldn't.

"You need to perform CPR!" I shouted but Meadows scoffed and Merva simply stared. "If she dies, I..." I was at peace with me dying. I'd told them as much. But Kory... she still had so much left to live for. She had a career, and a life and... "If she dies, I'll fight against you every step of the way. I'll break my damned hyoid through any means necessary so you can't-"

"Resuscitate her." Merva instructed the other Believers, who rushed into action.

All I could do was watch as they undid her restraints and laid her on the floor. There was nothing I could do as they didn't seem to know what they were doing...