yes ma'am

Going on an investigation with the Director of the FBI wasn't on my bucket list, but maybe it should have been

Going on an investigation with the Director of the FBI wasn't on my bucket list, but maybe it should have been. Maybe I should have set my sights high and reached for my goals, because this would be simultaneously the most terrifying thing I'd ever done as well as the most fun.

Director George Taite of the FBI was a man in his early sixties, but seemed to be young at heart. Either that, or he was bored as hell and this was the most interesting internal situation he'd come across in years.

He'd agreed to meet me at Quantico at three o'clock after he finished some meetings and weaselled out of others. So now I had to kill the time until I could meet him in the carpark and we would walk in together without giving Barnes any time to prepare.

And there was only one thing I could think of to do.

Slipping into the lecture on the difference between a trigger and a stressor had been easy. Doing it unnoticed though, not so much.

But seeing him catch my eye from the front of the room... I could finally breathe again without pain.

Spencer got distracted from his train of thought for a moment, and there seemed to be some form of conflict in his body. Maybe he wanted to stop talking and finish the lecture early. Maybe he wanted to run through his students to me.

But I had time to kill, and hearing him speak about whatever interested him was a favourite past time of mine.

"I'm sorry, Professor." That was some easy bait for him to bite at. "Please, don't let me interrupt you." I smirked as I moved towards an empty seat.

"It's actually Doctor," he replied.

I sat down and tilted my head to the side. "Apologies, Doctor. I'm sorry I'm late, but I'm just auditing the class today."

"I have a feeling you're not the only one." His smile faltered a little. "Who else is auditing the class?" More than half the people in the room lifted their hands.

"Seems like you're a little popular, Agent Doctor," I said as those hands slowly dropped again, and most of them turned to look at me. But I ignored them. They weren't my focus right now.

Spencer was.

He tilted his head to the side as he stared at me. "Why don't you come up and help me. I've finished the main topic, and maybe the people who came here to actually learn might like to hear from another Special Agent."

"Supervisory Special Agent." I corrected him, and everyone turned to look at the front again. "But I'm more than happy to let you keep going. You're better at this than I am."

"Please, Kory." Damn it. He knew I couldn't say no when he asked so nicely.

I rolled my eyes and walked to the front of the small lecture hall. Well, I would have to make him pay for this later. I didn't know how, but I would.