Chapter eighteen: The Unseen Tides of the Heart

___________________________________________

The de Montmorency estate was aflutter with activity, the air thick with anticipation and a dash of chaos. Catherine and Genevieve fussed about, their movements a whirlwind of silk and lace as they ensured that every detail was impeccable for Daphne Bridgerton's wedding. Their meticulous eyes darted around, double-checking that nothing had been missed. The atmosphere was electric, yet something-or rather someone-was amiss.
"Cossette!" Catherine called, her voice edged with urgency. When there was no response, a ripple of panic surged through the grand halls of the estate. The household split, servants and family alike, embarking on a frantic search for the youngest de Montmorency.
Alphonse and Alexander, dashing as ever in their wedding attire, plunged into the woods, calling her name, their concern barely concealed beneath their stoic exteriors. Unbeknownst to them, Cossette was returning from a spirited ride on Étoile. The wind had been her companion, and for a moment, she had felt truly free.
As the estate came into view, her mother, Catherine, burst forth like a tempest, her worry etched into every feature. Genevieve followed, a sigh escaping her lips, her eyes hiding the amusement that danced within them. Alphonse's laughter cut through the tension, a joyful sound that seemed to celebrate Cossette's safe return.
"where have you been , we've been looking all over for you we thought you were kidnapped", scolded Catherine and then she added on leaving no space for Cossette to answer.
"let me finish young lady", Catherine added sternly.
"you could have at least told one of us, honestly I really sometimes doubt you're my daughter ", she sighted earning a small leaped smiled from Cossette.
"that's because I'm my father's daughter ", she grinned side hugging her father who smiled amusingly causing Catherine to glare at them.
"you and your father are going to be the death of me", chuckled the duchess.
"but do not think you're completely forgiven ", she added grinning
Chastised but unbroken, Cossette offered a heartfelt apology, promising to ready herself posthaste. The family watched, bemused, as she sprinted away, her usual reserve replaced by an uncharacteristic gaiety.

In what felt like the blink of an eye, Cossette reemerged, transformed. Her gown was a masterpiece, its fabric hugging her form in a loving embrace. Her hair, styled with fashionable grace, framed her face in an elegant updo that accentuated her delicate features. Genevieve and she exchanged compliments, their earlier argument forgotten in the glow of sisterly affection.
The de Montmorency carriage rolled towards the Bridgerton estate, its occupants a blend of excitement and nerves. The church loomed ahead, its doors wide open to welcome the congregation. Inside, the de Montmorency sisters greeted the Bridgertons with practiced grace before taking their seats.
"lady brigerton", the duchess de Montmorency grabbed the dowager viscountess's attention, Catherine and Alphonse were not still in terms of forgiving the brigertons but they wouldn't denie the invitation for Thier title's sans , Catherine may be an excited and jovial person but she was wise and serious when it came to duty and family.
"your grace it is an honor to have you", violet spoke nervously not really knowing what to do Infront if the people her children has hurt.
The duchess abd the duke Gabe her a small smile and walked to Thier seats while Cossette, Genevieve and Alphonse gave a slight curtsy before following Thier parents.
The ceremony began, and Simon, the picture of distinguished elegance, made his way down the aisle. After a poignant wait, Daphne appeared, her beauty and poise rendering the room breathless. It was a moment of pure magic, the air itself seeming to shimmer with the power of the vows exchanged.