2 - Drunk & Jealous

Paul visited his mother who was cooking meals for the customers. Seeing her again when he lost her several months ago brought tears into his dark chocolate eyes.

"Pol? Why are you crying?" He wiped his tears with his hand.

"Umm, nothing, just a fly."

"Oh, alright, come give me a hand, today we've got a lot of orders." When his mother was here... that meant that his father was taking orders and pouring beer to the customers. Paul immediately grabbed the notebook on the counter and asked the customers for their orders. So many people... he couldn't believe it. There weren't any empty seats, the prices were low and from the radio he could hear his favorite artist Jaya. Right, he's in the year when she was very popular, of course they were playing it.

The nostalgia was making him emotional, he saw young people wearing the clothes he was wearing in the presence. There weren't any smartphones. The customers talked to each other or read newspapers. No apps needed for dating, just sitting next to someone was enough to meet the love of their life... he was often jealous of straight couples... he couldn't meet anyone because talking about homosexuality was still taboo and if he started flirting with a man, he'd be considered perverted right away... at least he had Sand to whom he could talk about it and was impatiently looking at the door of his room to see if he stayed as he promised... or he could run away just like Jompol.

Paul was happy, very happy, he got along with the young people pretty well and few girls gave him compliments which he appreciated but didn't feel anything more. His parents were alive, both of them and looked much younger. They had few grey strands of hair in their hairstyles but otherwise their hair color was very dark.

"Hello, could I please ask for today's menu?"

"I'll be there right away!" One young girl with sunglasses was just sitting in her seat with an older lady. Her arms were crossed and she looked furious and impatient when she was taping her elbow with her fingers.

"I'm sorry... today we have-."

"I don't care how many customers you have here! Don't you see that I'm important?!" Wait... the familiar voice, the familiar hairstyle...

"J-Jaya?"

"We know each other?" She lifted up her sunglasses to have a better view of him and didn't seem to recognize him.

"N-no, I'm just your biggest fan!! Could you please sign this notebook for me?!" He bowed down his head and waited to be scolded just like before and instead of it, she was nice. Too nice for her personality... he looked at her manager who was making sure Jaya wouldn't be rude in front of so many people.

"Of course, give it to me. 'To my biggest fan, Jaya Janiya,' that's it." She gave him back his notebook with his pen but others already noticed that the popular teen idol was among them and stood in a line to get their sign as well. Jaya seemed somehow tired... beautiful but tired... she must have had a lot of concerts and didn't have time to rest. Paul was worried once again.

Because the fans followed Jaya and didn't wait for their meals to be done, the seats were empty again but they had to pay in advance so it didn't matter. Suddenly Paul's mother closed the restaurant sooner than Paul remembered and the lights turned off. Then he heard the familiar Happy Birthday To You. Oh right! It should be his 56th birthday so today he was celebrating his 21st birthday. He didn't get a cake, not in this age, he was usually getting a candle on the meal mom was usually preparing because their financial situation wasn't the best.

"What do you wish for, son?" He closed his eyes and blew the candle. What could he possibly wish for? He had everything right now and even more than before. What he wished for was Sand not leaving him despite what happened... he still needed a friend. Best friend he could talk to about everything. They clapped but then stopped when Jompol came out of Paul's room. Wait! What about Sand?!