Tamryn's Promise

Chapter 1

I look out to the room watching the younger children playing. I am sitting in my favourite corner in the chair near the window where I like to read. I have lived in this orphanage for as long as I can remember. I wish I had some memory of my parents, but all I remember is the cold, hungry nights spent here. As I watch I think about the missing children and the late-night visitors I have been noticing. Men who come in the dead of night. Men who look like something more then human. Men who seem to target the younger, weaker children. The day after these men arrive there is always 3-5 children missing. But somehow the manager always finds more orphans to replace them. I have been trying to quietly investigate what is going on but haven't found many answers yet. I have seen that the manager is afraid of these men.

I am distracted from my thoughts by the sound of shouting and a child crying. I look up to see a staff member shouting at a young boy while gripping his arm forcefully. He is screaming directly into the boy's face, shaking him violently. I am on my feet instantly moving halfway across the room when I see the manager approaches, demanding to know what the noise is about. My footsteps hesitate for a second before I pick up the pace. I see the poor boy tremble in the brutal hold of the staff member.

"This maggot thought he would help himself to some food." The staff member spits.

"It was for Sarah; she was sick this morning and I thought she would like some b...b...bread." The poor kid starts to cry. A loud crack echoes the large room as the manager slaps the boy across the face, knocking the boy to the floor.

"No one gave you permission to speak!" the manager yells at the trembling child. He turns to the staff member, "get me the cane." The staff member gives and evil smirk before turning to the managers office to grab a large, heavy rod the manager calls 'the cane' in case any visitors overhear him.

I instantly stand in between the child and the manager. He glares at me, demanding I move. I continue to stand there defiantly. I am sick of these adults thinking they can do anything they want to us just because they deem us scum. The staff member returns and hands the 'cane' to the manager and smirks at the unfolding situation.

"You will not lay a hand on this child!" I say with all the strength I can, holding my hands in fists so they cannot see them shake.

The manager and staff member share a look of surprise.

"I think she is volunteering to take the brats punishment." The staff member says with a look of excitement. They both stare at me silently for a few moments.

"Very well." The manager says.

I turn to the boy and tell him, "Run! Take the others outside!" he doesn't hesitate as the two adults close in on me. I back into the corner as they start to smile. I only feel the first few hits, quickly losing consciousness.

I wake a few hours later on my bed surrounded by the young kids. They are holding my hands and wiping my brow with cool water, doing whatever they could think of to make me better in their mind. I try to sit up and let out a soft whimper at the pain still radiating through my body. I do my best to keep as much as I can hidden, but Tommy, the boy I saved, still notices and sniffles. I grab his hand and give it a squeeze.

"I'm fine everyone." I say trying to smile at them all. Over the years I have become very protective over all the children. As I age and get closer to 'aging out' I have held back less and less. Most of the times it is the staff who back off, but every now and then this happens.

I spend the next few days inside recuperating. I sit mostly in the chair by the window and read. I notice some new children come into the orphanage. I watch them all huddled together, wide eyed and scared. I feel sick to the gut knowing this means another night visit is happening. I feel my anger rise. I am still just a teenager, but there must be something I can do. I must stop this somehow. I start to form a plan. I need to wait for the perfect opportunity to sneak into the managers office and see what I can find.